General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Riding Habits

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 09:54 AM
soundman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustDave71
people suck at driving cars, too, no?

Interesting that there's driver's ed in most schools to learn how to drive a car, but nothing of the sort for motorcycles

I'm not a fan of the DMV at all but I wouldn't balk if everyone had to take a rider safety course to get their license
Heck, I wouldn't balk if EVERYBODY was required to retake their driver's exams every 3rd year (both motorcycle and for cars), and also take defensive driving as part of it. Have it set up so that if they miss any questions, they have 30 days to take a class and pass a retest. I get sick of all these drivers that don't know how to use on/off ramps, or passing lanes and such. Some of them just don't have a clue.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:58 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 509 Likes on 347 Posts

I agree, I have friends with running lights that leave them off, I keep mine on for more viability. Also I almost got rear ended one day buy a guy who didn't see me, we were going down the road at 50 and I hear tires screeching. Look in my mirror to see a guy in a Mustang slamming on the brakes, headlights diving to the road and pulling towards the shoulder...he musta been flying down the road. I immediately installed the run/break/flash setup for my rear. Can't be too careful
And I was also taught early on, ride as if everyone else out there is trying to kill you.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:00 AM
riskmanager
Cruiser
Default Hmmm Age?

It is funny how one's "position" changes their perspectives. Being an older rider (57) I find it is the younger riders who drive less safely. Earlier on in this thread some one said it is the 40 to 50 on big bikes who are careless. I see that it is the 20 to 35 year old drivers that are more dangerous: higher speeds, running stops and lights, weaving in traffic, not using signals, etc. And on Harleys.
So let's not categorize and think that if we are in one group that it is the "other" group that is unsafe. We should all drive like our life depends on it, because it does. (and take a good riding course)

Attached Thumbnails Poor Riding Habits-velma-biker-babe.jpg  
Old 05-03-2010, 10:03 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

You look older than 57 in that pic, Risk......... lol.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would balk. It would be a waste of my time and it would cost money --which makes it another tax. Someone would have to pay. Your solution is a nanny state attitude. Well this is my opinion. Lets Darwin it. The material is out there and if you lack skills you pay for them or die. I have so far at this old age learned how to anticipate, execute, and dodge. My survival is not guaranteed but it is not by lack of knowledge. Sounds harsh but I get tired of seeing middle aged men start their midlife crisis by buying a new bike and assuming that reaching their age number has made them smarter, quicker or entitled. When it comes to younger men that is a harsh learning curve and they need to learn one time the right way and be tested one time. This retest crap is just a redundant tax.
Originally Posted by soundman
Heck, I wouldn't balk if EVERYBODY was required to retake their driver's exams every 3rd year (both motorcycle and for cars), and also take defensive driving as part of it. Have it set up so that if they miss any questions, they have 30 days to take a class and pass a retest. I get sick of all these drivers that don't know how to use on/off ramps, or passing lanes and such. Some of them just don't have a clue.

Last edited by oldairboater; 05-03-2010 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:11 AM
Lardog666
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it is very beneficial that I ride in city traffic daily... ain't nothing like driving in heavy traffic to keep your skills sharp... & if one can't hack it, then let natural selection do its work... I know that sounds harsh, but lets face it, there are some dolts out there on the road that don't belong on a bike.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by soundman
You have to take the MSF in Florida now to register a new bike. I think its a good thing even though I was grandfathered in, nothing scarier than seeing someone riding to much bike for their skills.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:26 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I think that the only way I ahve learned is from my own mistakes. I have had plenty of accidents in my time. Some my fault, some other people's fault. Left turners in front of me, People turning right from the wrong lane and running me over, etc. The accidents that were my fault all stem form me riding either too fast for the conditions or beyond my ability, or both. I like to think I have learned from my mistakes. I believe that people need to learn the hard way the vast majority of the time. The thing that really gets me is when people claim that loud pipes do not save lives. In the 5 years I have had my Harley, people rarely pull out in front of me as they can hear me coming from a ways away. I don't want to hijack the thread and turn it into a debate as I am only speaking from personal experience, but test this theory out for yourself. I far prefer to run loud pipes and have people hear me coming than to run quiet ones and risk people no knowing I am there. Be careful out there people, there is always an accident waiting to happen on the road. Drew

Old 05-03-2010, 10:31 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

I'm surprised at how some people ride. I have a very small percentage of friends who ride well but a whole other bunch will terrible riding habits. I learned my lesson in Daytona about not turning your head around about 10 years ago. I almost drove into the side of a car at 70 mph that I didn't see overtaking me on RT95. I got lucky and didn't crash but believe me Lesson Learned!!!

If there's one habit (especially at rallies) that bugs me it's bikers who sit there at on a green turn arrow at an intersection. You know the scenario, two guys yuckin' it up laughing about something they saw or did not paying attention to the light. Then it turns green and it takes someone tooting a horn for them to snap back to reality. Now we have to wait for them to click the bike into gear and proceed through the intersection. Meanwhile the light turns yellow again, only about 4 bikes go though and there are 20 more bikes sitting there waiting. And the two idiots ride off laughing and yucking it up again about how they nearly missed the light!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 AM
soundman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by oldairboater
I would balk. It would be a waste of my time and it would cost money --which makes it another tax. Someone would have to pay. Your solution is a nanny state attitude. Well this is my opinion. Lets Darwin it. The material is out there and if you lack skills you pay for them or die. I have so far at this old age learned how to anticipate, execute, and dodge. My survival is not guaranteed but it is not by lack of knowledge. Sounds harsh but I get tired of seeing middle aged men start their midlife crisis by buying a new bike and assuming that reaching their age number has made them smarter, quicker or entitled. When it comes to younger men that is a harsh learning curve and they need to learn one time the right way and be tested one time. This retest crap is just a redundant tax.
I'm not an advocate of more tax, but be honest, when was the last time you ever picked up a DMV manual and refreshed yourself on anything? I've been driving over 20 years and my answer is I haven't. I'm sure there's some things I've forgotten. I'm sure there are things you've forgotten as well. Human nature is what it is. If taking a test and being required to pass would make it a little better out there, than I'm all for it. Just like the hunter safety program and MSF. They do help.

Quick Reply: Poor Riding Habits