General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for helmet advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 10:16 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts
Default Looking for helmet advice

Looking for helmet advice. I need to buy a new helmet. From what I have read about impact absorption I'd like it to be either Snell M2010 (not Snell M2005) or ECE 22.05 certified. It would be nice if it were light, have a removable liner, customizable cheek pads to get a good fit and decent venting for hot weather use.

Last edited by fat_tony; 05-02-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:19 AM
boohoo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Blargh
Road Captain

+1 on the rf1100, nice helmet

Old 05-02-2010, 11:07 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Shoei RF1100. www.helmetharbor.com.
You have to join to get the member price, but joining is free.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:17 AM
Minnesota FXDF
Cruiser

Make sure you buy one that fits YOU. To me that is the biggest thing, don't buy a certain brand because everyone else said it is the best (although I agree - Shoei makes a great helmet), get the one that fits you. Any Snell helmet that fits correctly will do the job and offer more protection than an ill fitting helmet.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:22 AM
boohoo
Cruiser

the previous poster makes a good point
my advice would be to try one on at a good shop(many internet dealers will not do returns on helmets)
when I got my shoei the girl found the right shell size for me than she changed the cheek pads until it fit well shoei has 6 sizes of cheek pads

Last edited by boohoo; 05-02-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-02-2010, 11:24 AM
BugDr
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shoei and Arai may be the most expensive, except maybe for Schuberth, but they may not necessarily be the best. Snell and DOT set standards for the helmet being able to withstand impact, but what about the brain inside the skull which is what we are also trying to protect? The G forces subjected to the skull and hence the brain must also be considered. Contra-coup impact of the brain after it bounces off the inside of the brain case can cause hematomas and brain damage. The following is an interesting read from Motorcyclist, Feb 2009
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html
The cushioning placed inside the helmet case is equally as important as the case itself, and many of the less expensive helmets came out better than the most expensive.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would like to confirm that you will not get a refund from an on line dealer any more. Once they have your money, it's theirs forever. All they will do is offer you a credit with them. And what if that item is the only thing you might ever even order from them. Ha! They have your money now, your kinda forced to use the credit. I still say the best form of getting satisfaction is to buy from a retailer. This way, if their is any problem, you have local recourse, and someone who more than likely wants you to return for future purchases.
I noticed Cycle Gear has one of, if not the most lenient return policy on helmets. They know how important proper fit is and that all fit differently.I believe they carry the brands listed here.
My $0.02

aka Bob

Old 05-02-2010, 12:19 PM
FLYING
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides comfort consider the backside of the helmet so should you unfortunatley be in a accident that the backside of the helmet would not snap you're neck upon impact.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:31 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BugDr
Shoei and Arai may be the most expensive, except maybe for Schuberth, but they may not necessarily be the best. Snell and DOT set standards for the helmet being able to withstand impact, but what about the brain inside the skull which is what we are also trying to protect? The G forces subjected to the skull and hence the brain must also be considered. Contra-coup impact of the brain after it bounces off the inside of the brain case can cause hematomas and brain damage. The following is an interesting read from Motorcyclist, Feb 2009
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html
The cushioning placed inside the helmet case is equally as important as the case itself, and many of the less expensive helmets came out better than the most expensive.
The new Snell M2010 standards that the Shoei RF1100 meets address the "hardness" issue of the Snell certified helmets in that article.
Regarding another post about not being able to return a helmet from a web purchase. www.helmetharbor.com has a 7 day return policy. Although I would suggest going to a store like Cycle Gear to try on Shoei's and Arai's.

Quick Reply: Looking for helmet advice