General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for helmet advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Some companies make helmets for different shaped heads. I specifically got an Arai Profile becase it's made for a "long oval" head. Most comfortable helmet I've ever had. Last FF helmet I had, a few years ago, was definately made for a rounder head and would become painful to wear after an hour of so. Doing group rides it's tough to talk to folks with a FF, and it's getting warmer here finally, so I bought a Harley 1/2 helmet yesterday.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Kski
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on Shoei RF1100, it's lightweight, tons of air venting. Only issue I have with it is the wind is louder with it than with my Scorpion EXO 400. If I'm gonna be nosed into the wind for a ride longer than a half hour or so I usually wear earplugs now.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:49 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by BugDr
Shoei and Arai may be the most expensive, except maybe for Schuberth, but they may not necessarily be the best. Snell and DOT set standards for the helmet being able to withstand impact, but what about the brain inside the skull which is what we are also trying to protect? The G forces subjected to the skull and hence the brain must also be considered. Contra-coup impact of the brain after it bounces off the inside of the brain case can cause hematomas and brain damage. The following is an interesting read from Motorcyclist, Feb 2009
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html
The cushioning placed inside the helmet case is equally as important as the case itself, and many of the less expensive helmets came out better than the most expensive.
Thats why I said Snell M2010 and ECE and not Snell M2005. There are a number of articles in motorcycle magazines and on the net about this issue.

From what I've read, apparently the Snell M2005, and earlier Snell standards, standard specified a high puncture resistance which mandated a stiff shell. As I understand it a stiff shell is not as effective at absorbing impacts and transmits more force to the foam underneath. The ECE and Snell M2010 standards specify the lowest force of any of the helmet standards that can be transmitted through the helmet to the head. This does however require a softer shell which means less puncture resistance. According to the safety experts who have commented, this is a good real world trade off as helmet punctures are less common than brain injuries from force of impact. The other reason for the new Snell standard is so manufactures can now market the same helmet in Europe as North America. Previously they could not build a helmet model that would meet both the ECE and Snell M2005 standard because of the differing requirements. The new Snell M2010 standard starts with the requirements of the ECE standard so a helmet that is M2010 approved will also meet the requirements of ECE and the loose requirements of DOT plus meet the more rigid requirements of Snell.

Last edited by fat_tony; 05-02-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:57 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowpokey
I specifically got an Arai Profile becase it's made for a "long oval" head.
How do you find the venting on the Profile. It is the one helmet I've tried that fits me perfectly.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Crusing
Road Captain

Other’s all have given good advice. One additional point to consider is ventilation which is important for fogging and comfort as well. I am on my 2nd Shoei X11 and am very pleased with it. You may also want to check out: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

Old 05-02-2010, 04:06 PM
joewg3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely the Shoei. I saw quite a few videos on YouTube demostrating their helmets. Not bad stuff at all and I think they are reasonably priced.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:32 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on RF1100, +1 on Cycle Gear and their awesome return policy.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:24 PM
tscreener
Tourer

I personally like the shark helmets ece rated and the better ones do not fog up I have ridden at 34 degrees and did not fog up. still not a cheap helmet and they have a different profile similair to aria.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:32 PM
don g
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want. The only thing i would add is to try the helmet before you buy.
I just bought a new helmet that had all of features i was looking for. After using it a dozen times i realized it buffeted much more than my other helmet. Now it just sits in the basement all nice and new.

Old 05-03-2010, 02:17 AM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
How do you find the venting on the Profile. It is the one helmet I've tried that fits me perfectly.
I can feel the air blowing on my face and moving through the helmet, with the shield closed tight. It's pretty good for a FF. The shield seals up so good that I have to leave the main vent slightly open on cold days so it doesn't fog up.

I got it through www.helmetshop.com *, list price of $490 got it for $392 and free shipping, delivered to my PO box here in under a week.

*Sorry if that's against any advertising rules. I don't know anyone at the store, just got great service from them. Especially with stores that won't ship to a PO box, let alone an overseas military address.