General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My local dealer being closed down.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:52 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 240 Likes on 161 Posts

The local dealer by me closed it's doors on April 15th, blaming a slow economy ect. Now things being as they are ,I don't see people that weren't buying from that dealer, driving an additional 20 miles to the next closest dealer, to spend money.,,

Old 07-09-2011, 10:43 AM
BuckeyeMan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schumacher
what a prediction that was......
Come on Schu. You even agreed with your initial response to my post. Check post 28 out stating that Buckminn or Mid-Ohio would fall first.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeMan
Come on Schu. You even agreed with your initial response to my post. Check post 28 out stating that Buckminn or Mid-Ohio would fall first.
I know......still is ironic though.
In a way Buckiminns did fall since they got bought as well

Old 07-09-2011, 12:07 PM
BuckeyeMan
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schumacher
I know......still is ironic though.
In a way Buckiminns did fall since they got bought as well
Needless to say though I do like the new name and the new logo. Seem like good people in there also. Been in there many times since the change and always treated good.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:20 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Back in 2006 or so, HD started forceing their dealers to expand and build new buildings along the "McDonalds" line of things, make's all big and follow a set layout. Either make the investment or close. Lots of the remaining "mom and pops" places closed. Now with the economy in the ******* and the MoCo losing money for the first time in more than a dozen years, its all about shrinking supply and increasing demand. I was at Superstition Harley in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago. HUGE dealership, must be 5000 square feet! And they are just one of maybe 5 or 6 in the greater Phoenix area. HD has a new strategy. Shrink the supply and increase the demand, cut costs, thin the herd, and hope to survive!
Yeah. Here in Phoenix, we have Superstition, Chesters (formerly Chosa's), Chandler, Arrowhead, Hacienda, and Buddy Stubbs has two dealerships. That's not even counting dealerships in other cities like Tucson and other places.

I don't know how the other dealerships here are doing, but I know that Buddy Stubbs is the oldest dealership here in the valley and doing a brisk business.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:21 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
everything that i've seen shows that the moco is turning a profit. not as much of a profit as before, but still a profit.

do you have a link to show where they are losing money?
I posted a thread where it says that they are profitable. There's a link in it.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:23 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bob-n-Ohio
The reason some of the dealerships are closing is because they are not located beside a busy xpressway. One of our local, and busy dealerships was recently told they had to relocate their store or lose the brand. They also had another, less profitable location that was shut down due to location and profits.

This has been the moco's requirements for some years now for any new dealerships, the older ones that haven't moved will either move or won't be a Harley dealership.
This is why Buddy Stubbs opened a second dealership. Their primary one was away from the freeway. They weren't about to move their main dealership, so they opened a second one. From what I gather the second one that is near the freeway is practically a ghost town, but I know for sure that the main one away from the freeway is usually pretty busy.

Old 07-09-2011, 03:43 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Look at this way for a moment , while there's been several valid speculations on the why's behind all this if you sit back with a non vested interest in current harley offerings you can see a completely different trend going down here . HD Moco is manipulating the market and they are playing serious cutthroat hardball . They have banned all sales outside of retail stores and now they are deliberately narrowing down the selection of those stores , I'm sure on the face and for the general public PR all the obvious reason's been stated in here so far are valid and are what they want you the wallet to see . Once your choices have been whittled down by all the closings what do think is happen to pricing for everything ? You will now have to pay the toll because you don't have the option to go down the road 10 miles to the next guy anymore .This isn't a new strategy for corporations look at what happened to your free TV (which you can no longer get with the good old antenna ) we had for years and cable & competing satellite when it hit the market so big years ago , now one company has a grip on the viewing public's ball's and prices have gone moon launch high while content has gone to the dog's , same with cell phones . HD is just doing it in your face and knows there isn't any choice for you but play their game if you want a shiny new bike & support .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 07-09-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:06 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,094 Likes on 5,311 Posts

Originally Posted by capnhook
I would like to see that happen.
Interestingly, my local Harley dealer (Simi Valley Harley in Simi Valley, CA) also became a Victory dealer recently (both brands on the same sales floor). He's also a Husquevarna dealer. Talk about covering all your bases.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:15 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by Headwolf
Isn't the "Roar to the Shore" rally held in Wildwood? How can you have a biker rally without a Harley Dealer locally? Seems it would put a dent in the rally too. Maybe that rally is Metric? Never went so not sure
Buddy that isn't a " Biker Rally " that's a MOCO queers give us your money play masked as a " biker " event . Dealerships with their supported and mothership approved events has dick to do with a biker rally .

Quick Reply: My local dealer being closed down.