General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My local dealer being closed down.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:31 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider1200
Shrinking the supply of dealers won't guarantee an increase in demand for the product.
No but it will increase the traffic in the remaining dealerships, making them all more profiable.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:19 AM
wrestleantares
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wally World can sell the T-Shirts so they really only need half or fewer of the dealers.

Last time I went in the dealer more people were shopping the toys/clothing and gift crap than for bikes or gear.

If they close some dealers and negotiate a HD section in the Wally-Worlds then HD and Wally-World would make a killing.

Last edited by wrestleantares; 07-08-2011 at 10:21 AM.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:00 AM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by golfblues
And after the fallout more Indys will pop up to fill the service gaps. Funny thing I noticed in this thread, all of a sudden they are "dealers" not "stealers"
100% agree. First everyone disrespects the "dealership with the stealership label" Your a poser if you go to one blah blah. Now we band together to save a place that we say we will never would go to.

Oregon shutdown the Albany dealer. IMO the biggest competition to HD is Craigslist.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Headwolf
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't the "Roar to the Shore" rally held in Wildwood? How can you have a biker rally without a Harley Dealer locally? Seems it would put a dent in the rally too. Maybe that rally is Metric? Never went so not sure

Old 07-08-2011, 12:18 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeMan
Surely can't see anything happening to F&S as large as they are. They seem to be doing quite well.
what a prediction that was......

Old 07-08-2011, 01:29 PM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

I didn't read through all the pages here, but the same thing has happened near me, long time small dealer Tibby's HD is being forced out. Last year another dealer north of here went out. The only dealer left is a complete a55hole establishment that I won't even go in. I'd have to drive 50+ miles to get to another one. I've bought my last new Harley. I like the older ones better anyway.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:33 PM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The last I read HD is one of the last big U.S. companies that operates without debt. (Not saying local dealers don't have their own debts) I also know HD is very particular about what bikes they'll send to which dealers as well. If a dealer is good at moving bikes, they'll get all the new models w/ color scheme options etc. If you don't move bikes very well... we know what happens. This is possibly how they stay out of debt. Realize also that some dealers, no matter how good their service is, lack the client base in their area to keep moving HD products at a competitive rate.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:30 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I call BS that HD is closing them down. A franchise is a written contract protecting both parties. HD can only close them down if they buy them out.

If HD was in bankruptcy they could ask the judge to cancel the the franchise like GM and Chrysler did during their bankruptcies.

Many other factors maybe coming into play. The most likely reason is the profit margin. Or owner wants to retire and can't find a buyer.

HD could have bought them out but that is very unlikely.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:45 PM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

yep, Im in CT but 30 minutes to the MA dealer (Tibbys HD in Springfield Ma.) Awesome family run joint.
Bought a WG 6 weeks ago, and 2 weeks after they announced they are done!
Sucks, But Gengras HD in Hartford is awesome too... And the main service guy went there .

Sad for all especially them, but while closing there are deals on bikes and parts! and tools and stuff....
I picked up a SE heavy breather kit, chrome, paid 75 bux!
grabbed a bunch of other stuff! Clothes and what not...

Strange to see them close in my area, riders and HD's are on the rise bigtime!

Old 07-08-2011, 03:52 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I call BS that HD is closing them down. A franchise is a written contract protecting both parties. HD can only close them down if they buy them out.

If HD was in bankruptcy they could ask the judge to cancel the the franchise like GM and Chrysler did during their bankruptcies.

Many other factors maybe coming into play. The most likely reason is the profit margin. Or owner wants to retire and can't find a buyer.

HD could have bought them out but that is very unlikely.
The factory does not buy anyone out. If the factory wanted to sell direct then they would of cut out the dealer owner network and sell direct to the public. There is no money to be made in owning real estate as far as Harley is concerned.

Franchise agreements are not written in stone. Franchise agreements have to be renewed. The factory is not obligated to renew contracts. The factory will not renew contracts if you do not buy enough bikes from them to sell.

Quick Reply: My local dealer being closed down.