General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My local dealer being closed down.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 AM
boohoo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=rklew;6652248]now I have to go 65 miles to a dealer. quote]
Do not use Ocean County in Lakewood horrible customer service(the big mega store type)
go to Mills in Burlington
OCHD is 15 minutes away but I was riding the 50 mi to Mills

Old 05-02-2010, 11:02 AM
Auckland
Tourer

There are 4 dealers within 30 mins of my house. Stretch that out to 1 hour and I am up to 13-14 dealerships. I wish we could find out who is leaving as I dont want to get my bike from a dealership that is not going to be around for my first service.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:09 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Man, I hope they do not shut down Yellowstone HD in Belgrade, MT. Only 8 miles from my house. Great folks and *exceptional* service dept.

But they charge above MSRP, and the place is still full of dozens of unsold '09s. They sell tons of merchandise to tourists in summer, and service their bikes, often same-day. But the new-bike market in this corner of Montana is pretty limited. The situation is even worse in Butte at Thunderbolt HD. And they don't get the tourists.

I wouldn't be surprised if they got shut down, but, man, I'd miss it.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker357
There are 4 dealers within 30 mins of my house. Stretch that out to 1 hour and I am up to 13-14 dealerships. I wish we could find out who is leaving as I dont want to get my bike from a dealership that is not going to be around for my first service.
Any dealer will be more than happy to do your servicing. its an unfounded fear you have, get the best deal you can on a bike now and get it, with the closing of dealerships bikes will get harder to get.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Chief Razorback
Tourer

Originally Posted by 09sungloflhx
they could still keep shop open and do repairs could they not just change the name **** hd ******** who are they to say whether a dealer can stay open or not what a bunch of bs
Unfortunately, they're the a-holes that own the name so they CAN say who can stay open and who can't. Just like American car mfg. did last year. They're just trying to survive the economic storm and I'm sure they had their reasons.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:14 AM
scottwilliamson
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am sorry to say that this is the new business model for the automotive industry period. Look at all of the GM and Chrysler dealers that have lost their franchise's. They have this weird belief that if we have fewer places to shop they can hold their margins better.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:38 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have 5 Harley dealers within a 30 minute ride...wonder if they will all survive

Old 05-02-2010, 12:03 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would become a Victory dealer just to spite HD.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:40 PM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I heard a couple of weeks ago that the biggest dealer in Colorado, ThunderMountain in Loveland is going out of buisness. Wonder if HD is shutting them down? Every time I've been there they are busy. I bought my last bike from them, nice people and pretty decent service department. Darn sad. I don't get the company line that closing dealers will help sales, doesn't make sense to me but I'm just a dumb engineer.

Paul in Colorado

Old 05-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Tex42
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Less dealers means buyer can't look for a better, lower price. Several dealerships are now owned by the same family. The price at one is the same at the others. Dealer is happy, MOCO is happy, buyer is screwed.

Quick Reply: My local dealer being closed down.