General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myths and Facts about Harley Davidson Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 02:07 PM
dynamolowrider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Myths and Facts about Harley Davidson Motorcycles

true we are. but i like any thing on too wheels but have rode hds for the last 20 years . not just becuse ther the coolest bike on the planet but becuse they are the longest lasting toughest bike made my last one was 20 years old and still i could depend on it . i have 10000 miles on 06 since feb. and dont have too wory about wearing it out before its paid for you cant say that about many other brands .

Old 08-13-2006, 02:29 PM
PoleCat
Road Captain

I'm with dynamolowrider,

I like all kinds of bikes. Owned a couple HDs one bad one and my present "perfect machine". But I've also owned a half dozen metrics . . . some good some bad.

I think maintenance is the key. The metrics I had trouble with were all second or third hand and were all maintenance junkies. Same with the 96 sporty I tried. I didn't have enough money or time to get it fixed right.

It seems, that if I get them new - and use my maintenance style (OCD) then they run and run and run.

I'm sure that the Street Glide I'm on now won't be my last bike, but it is certainly the best bike I've ever owned. It's perfect.

Old 08-13-2006, 03:40 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take any Harley and a comparable ricer, ride the hell out of it for 5-6 years and then sell them. Personally I didn't buy my FXD as an investment, that would be foolish. Harleys are meant to be ridden and enjoyed. After a few years, ask the Honda, etc. owner how much of the original purchase price their bike has retained. The HD wins every time unless it's beaten on.

Old 08-13-2006, 08:29 PM
wvrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: solorider
I have not owned a truck or car that performed that well.
Sounds like a switch to Ford is in order my brother.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:41 AM
Tommy Meisel
Tourer

I have a friend who is currently working as a consultant with a smaller manufacturer in Wisconsin. The company is trying to get a contract to supply Harley Davidson with some machined parts, but has not yet succeeded. My friend says that Harley is extremely demanding about product quality, and so far they cannot perform up to Harley's requirements. That tells me a lot about Harley Davidson...they are not looking for the low buck supplier (like Detroit does) but the highest quality supplier. Quality is always cheaper in the long run. Isn't it interesting that Harley is now so successful and the American car manufacturers are trying to dig out of a big hole?