General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Myths and Facts about Harley Davidson Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts
Default RE: Myths and Facts about Harley Davidson Motorcycles

I always have to laugh when someone talks about Harley's always breaking down and 'marking' their territory with oil. I usually do a double take, and ask them if they they are still living in the 70's. They usually say no (of course), and I reply back, saying well they seem to think they are, since they are talking about the reliability of bikes from that era! I've had one or two jaws drop on that one.......

Old 08-12-2006, 09:40 PM
Jovimon
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How about "all Harley's leak oil!". The earliest Harley's used a total loss oil system, after the primary chain was oiled the oil dripped to the ground. (or blew back all over!) Knuckle's, Pan's, and early Shovel's, with their tin primary covers just couldn't seal well enough to keep the oil in very well, the result? Harley's "marking their territory!" Late Shovel's on up used machined aluminum covers that sealed much better, my '77 AMF Shovelhead NEVER leaked( I swear!) but the leak stories go on and on!

Old 08-12-2006, 09:59 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jovimon

How about "all Harley's leak oil!". The earliest Harley's used a total loss oil system, after the primary chain was oiled the oil dripped to the ground. (or blew back all over!) Knuckle's, Pan's, and early Shovel's, with their tin primary covers just couldn't seal well enough to keep the oil in very well, the result? Harley's "marking their territory!" Late Shovel's on up used machined aluminum covers that sealed much better, my '77 AMF Shovelhead NEVER leaked( I swear!) but the leak stories go on and on!
OK, just gotta dispel a myth here! All Shovels had aluminum primaries, and the last year Pans (1965)had 'em, too. The change from the old tin primaries to aluminum happened when the electric starter appeared on the last-year Pan.

The tin primaries weren't designed to be oil tight. The oil was dripped onto the primary chain, and then found it's way to the ground. There was no return line.

And it wasn't until 1964 that the Big Twins got a drive chain oiler, fed off the hose that lubed the primary chain. So the '64s had two designed-in leaks (primary and rear chain), and later bikes had one designed in leak (rear chain).

My '78 AMF Shovel FLH had zero engine leaks. The tranny would leak out the main drive gear oil seal if I didn't replace it when I changed the sprockets every two drive chains.

Old 08-12-2006, 10:55 PM
sully
Advanced

When I bought my '85 Low Rider in '91 I swore I wouldn't buy a leaker. I started looking in January and didn't find a good Harley that didn't leak until October (It had been parked in the same spot for years and obviously hadn't been cleaned for the sale).

My Harley doesn't leak unless it's telling me to put a new seal on the tranny's output shaft....

Old 08-13-2006, 01:45 AM
Harry Manback
Cruiser

Si it looks like the next nyth is....

Myth:

Harley Davidsons are underpowered and not as reliable as other bikes

Facts:

This is one of my favorite spots for research...
http://www.bikez.com/brand/index.php...show_pictures=

If you look at the overall results, statistically most of the HD bikes are right in-line with all other bikes in terms of reliability and performance. However, across the board they seem to have higher numbers in looks, fun, design, repair and maintenance etc

So, are HD motorcycles less reliable? What are they being compared to? Other V-Twin air cooled bikes, or inline four water cooled bikes? Is it fair to compare a BMW to a Harley?

On the question of power; is this just comparing V-Twins?

I think this is another myth, there is no proof anywhere that Harley's are less reliable or under powered when comparing like models from other manufacturers.

Old 08-13-2006, 01:09 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I have to explain, you won't understand......

But seriously....

MYTH: You can change the exhaust and cams on a metric bike and it will sound EXACTLY like a Harley.

FACT: NOTHING sounds EXACTLY like a Harley, except a Harley.

And thats all I got to say about that.

nogood o~`o

Old 08-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Let me post to reliability....128k miles on my 95Ultra. I am not afraid to ride it anywhere. It's my daily driver. I have an 03 f150 that AI pull my rv with and drive when it's really raining hard or snowing but other than that, it's the Ultra. One of my riding Buddies has 170k on his 97 RK. sounds pretty reliable to me.....

AS far as cool....if it ain't Haqrley...it ain't crap (except for old Indians)

Just my .02

Old 08-13-2006, 01:44 PM
dynamolowrider
Tourer

as far as speed , i ride with a vtx 1300 i smoke him and a 99 kaw. 1500 i smoke him now im sure the 1800 109s will smoke me but there have more qubes then me.as for the jap parts any where there are metric bolts prob jap made. but i like my frount end on my 06 fxldli and when i needed a starter for my sporty it was nice to go to autozone and get one for 69 buucks

Old 08-13-2006, 01:54 PM
wvrider
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't really care about any of the crap we here about Harleys, true or false. I like my bike and won't own anything else... (period)

Old 08-13-2006, 02:01 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know if oil usage is a myth or not when compared to oil leakage but I have 3500 miles on my '06 since the last oil change and I haven't had to add a drop. I don't care what anybody says, it's pretty amazing to me for an air-cooled two cylinder motor to use no oil at all after that many miles. I have not owned a truck or car that performed that well.

Quick Reply: Myths and Facts about Harley Davidson Motorcycles