General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for you guys (gals) from Oregon:

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010 | 03:52 PM
vistavette
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Question for you guys (gals) from Oregon:

I may be planning a ride to Oregon to see a friend of mine this summer and I know you are not allowed to pump your own gas for your car. Does that apply to motorcycles too? I really don't want a gas station worker filling up my bike; especially since when I'm on a long ride I'll squeeze every bit of fuel into it I can. Do you guys let the attendant fill your bike or am I worried for nothing???

Old 04-30-2010 | 04:26 PM
yankeeflyer72
Road Captain

They generally let you pump your own when it`s a bike. Have had attendants tell me they have too many cases of attendants running tanks over so they geneally let the rider do it. They want to be the ones running your card at the pump though, or taking whatever form of payment you use.

Old 04-30-2010 | 04:31 PM
vistavette
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by yankeeflyer72
They generally let you pump your own when it`s a bike. Have had attendants tell me they have too many cases of attendants running tanks over so they geneally let the rider do it. They want to be the ones running your card at the pump though, or taking whatever form of payment you use.
Thanks for the response.

Old 04-30-2010 | 04:36 PM
swoopjr
Tourer

I never had a problem doing it myself when I lived there.

Old 04-30-2010 | 04:43 PM
sagalong
Advanced

They let you pump your own gas if your on a bike. Sometimes they have a code they need to put to the pump to unlock it but will hand you the hose. Have a nice ride.

Old 04-30-2010 | 09:09 PM
Harleypilot
Advanced
Default Self pumping

Actually the law says the attendant will hand you the hose (motorcycles only), let you pump it and then you hand it back. They're supposed to ask if you want to pump it but I've never been asked. They know you don't want them doing it. BTW, since this makes it a little crowded at the pump, I ride up with the pump on my right and get off on the left side as usual. The attendant then has room on the right side and it's easy to fill up and hand back to him. Have fun and take some side roads...great scenery.

Cw

Old 04-30-2010 | 09:32 PM
grumpygy
Tourer

I normally wait for them to hand me the hose. But even before the law leting us pump our own nobody put gas in my bike but me.

Old 04-30-2010 | 11:18 PM
PNSHVL
Tourer

They never have pumped my gas for me, they'll just hand you the nozzle. No problem!

Old 04-30-2010 | 11:41 PM
RiverWolf
Road Warrior

Wierd ok, no two stations exactly the same.
In a nutshell, you pump your own. Some will watch you or drool over your ride. Some will walk away to have a smoke. Some want to hang the nozzle back up, half don't care. A few will hand you a paper rag. Most know premium gas, but you better tell them. Never looked it up, but was told that on a bike you can slide your own card, grab the nozzle and fuel up, put it back, select your receipt, and pull away. Just like Calif!
And my mode about half the time!
Enjoy the back roads!