General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson Museum

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:03 PM
skulnbones
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Harley-Davidson Museum

I was working in Milwaukee today and visited the HD museum. AWESOME! I thought I knew a lot about the MoCo, but I learned so much more at the museum. What I found unique is the exhibits not only told the story about HD, but it gave insight on what was taking place in the US during that period of time such as the depression, WWII, the AMF years and how that period effected HD. The story of HD is not only about a motorcycle company, but about the modern history of the United States. HD is truly an American icon.

Touring the museum provided a tangible aspect to what is described as the "soul" of Harley-Davidson motorcycles.

HD is the only motor company in the world (including car manufacturers) that has one original vehicle from every year of production. Serial number 1, the first HD, is on display along with the actual handwritten design notes for various models. In addition to displaying motorcycles from about 1903 on, they have several different rooms dedicated to Engines, Racing & Clubs, Hollywood, etc. The Hollywood display was probably my favorite as it highlighted movies etc. that protrayed HD motorcycles. They even had the famous bikes from Easy Rider, Marlon Brando movies, and several cult classics of motorcycles and mayhem.

I was glad to see that several Buell's were on display as well.

One room was a restoration room where you could watch technicians actually restoring old HD's to their original condition. The workshop was as clean as a surgical suite.

I was lucky to see "Glory" the bald eagle who goes on display May 2nd. Seeing the majesty of a bald eagle that close is like looking at a living image of the U.S.A. It was a very patriotic experience.

Next time I'm in Milwaukee or York PA, I'll go on a factory tour. I highly recommend including a visit to the HD museum if you're in the area. One interesting note is almost all of the bikes parked outside (ridden by visitors) were brands other than HD. This probably isnt the case on busy weekends, but it showed that riders of all brands are interested in the HD story, which is truly an American story.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Dan1127
Road Master

Thanks for info planning to go there this summer,

Old 04-28-2010, 09:07 PM
Funnygirl
Road Captain

I'll be working in Milwaukee next week & since you've given the museum such a glowing recommendation, I'm definitely going to visit.
Thanks!

By the way, if you're still in the area & want something to do one evening, I'll be performing at Jokerz Comedy Club.
Wednesday through Saturday, May 6 - 8.
http://www.jokerzcomedyclub.com/
The club is actually in the same parking lot as Milwaukee HD.
http://www.milwaukeeharley.com/

Last edited by Funnygirl; 04-28-2010 at 09:11 PM.