General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going through police motor school

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info and well written too! Keep it coming and stay in the groove--you'll make it!

Old 04-28-2010, 10:17 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Job Stro... Love the write up. I did the RLAP and it just wet my appetite for better riding. I am envious...

Old 04-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Haywired
Road Master

Go Stro! Thanks for sharing your experience it is very interesting! I teach EVOC for coppers and I believe your information on braking with non-ABS vs ABS on the scooters. With non ABS you get a true threshold brake where with ABS it is letting your wheels turn a bit more extending your stopping distance.

Thanks again and good luck in mastering the head and eye control. Feels weird but once you get it life will be great!! Looking forward to additional reports...

Old 04-28-2010, 11:07 PM
thetroll
Advanced

Man, I am totally inspired to become a better rider. Thanks for the great writeup and the inspiration.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Great write up. Quit looking down. The ground isn't going anywhere, you are.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:37 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great write up.

Excuse my ignorance, but would these exercises be more difficult on a Softail Custom, with a Wide Glide front end?

Could you even get the pegs to scrape on that model bike (FXSTC)?

Thanks

Old 04-28-2010, 11:44 PM
martinbrody
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stro1965
I forgot to mention...we had an opportunity to test ABS against non-ABS bikes today. In a straight line, stopping distance was considerably shorter every time for the bikes without ABS, as long as you didn't lock up a tire. Take it for what it's worth, not looking to start an ABS debate. This was also on nice dry pavement.
On the ABS bikes were you slamming on the brakes as hard as you could or were you doing the same as you would on a non-ABS bike?

Thanks for the the great info, I have been checking out all the police motorcycle videos on youtube, very impressive riding. I look forward to hearing more about it.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:16 AM
murd
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post stro, makes me want to head to the nearest empty parking lot and practice.
Look forward to more, and good luck!

Old 04-29-2010, 06:37 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
Great write up.

Excuse my ignorance, but would these exercises be more difficult on a Softail Custom, with a Wide Glide front end?

Could you even get the pegs to scrape on that model bike (FXSTC)?

Thanks
I don't know. I'm sure you could scrape the boards but I'll bet the turning radius wouldn't be quite as tight as that of a touring bike just based on the steering geometry.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:42 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by martinbrody
On the ABS bikes were you slamming on the brakes as hard as you could or were you doing the same as you would on a non-ABS bike?

Thanks for the the great info, I have been checking out all the police motorcycle videos on youtube, very impressive riding. I look forward to hearing more about it.
For the demo they were braking the ABS bikes as hard as they could to show us how it worked, I was surprised at how much stopping ditance it added. Now for the actual exercise, those with ABS eqipped bikes were threshhold braking and, I think, did as well as the rest of us. It was only after ABS kicked in that stopping distance was added. I should have explained that better. I'm not opposed to ABS, I think it's probably a good idea, especially when you add wet pavement to the equation.

Quick Reply: Going through police motor school