General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going through police motor school

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Blargh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sporty06
For those of you that are wondering if there is a course like this for civilians, there is. It is the Ride Like A Pro course. The only thing is that it is only a four hour course but the RLAP DVD's provide the same information. I plan on taking the RLAP later this year in Houston or Dallas. I already have the DVD and am practicing so that when I take the course the instuctor can advise me on what areas need improvement.

sporty06

Patriot Harley in Fairfax, Va. is teamed up with a group of (ex?) motor officers http://saddleupva.com/cart/ who offer this training as well - for the advanced course, you even need to be checked out by one of the instructors just to see if you're good enough to place into the class

big $$$ though

Old 04-28-2010, 02:39 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hang in the STRO, I know you'll pass with flying colors. For those of us that have been there, just remember your 1st few days/weeks @ the academy. Felt pretty much the same other than picking up that motor. You will do yourself and dept. proud.

For those in California or those that wanna make the trip, check out "Streetmasters" It's a one day course but well worth the $$. No I don't work for them or get a kickback. Went to this in Nov. 2006. If you look at the class photo last row 6th in from the left, black hat red shirt. It was a friggen blast.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:25 PM
GAZippoman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stro, thank you for your write up. With your great attitude and enthusiasm, I'm sure you will make it through with flying colors.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:22 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

Originally Posted by don g
I've been riding for a year now and try to make it to a parking lot a few days a week to practice tight turns and figure eights on my 09 Road King. My only instructions were at the MSF class I took last year and am eager to learn new techniques. I'm curious if they have some type of a guard on the bottom corners of the crash bars. I've dropped mine a couple times while practicing and it seems like it would be good to protect them. This class sounds pretty intense but it will give you some great skills when your done. Good luck.
I use these, PRO-GUARDS at http://shop.pro-guards.com, on my Ultra when practicing slow speed maneuvers. They work well and are easy to put on and remove.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:42 PM
oldbagr
Road Master

Stro - Thanks for the great write up of your experiences todate with the motor officer training. I am signed up for a Ride Like a Cop class that some off duty motor officers put on in both Oregon and Washington (http://www.northwest-motorcycle.com/). After reading your post I am wondering if I will be up to the rigors of the 4 day session. Keep us updated on your progress and best wishes... I am confident you will successfully complete this training.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Ratkiller
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good job Blue.
Ratkiller

Old 04-28-2010, 05:31 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 350 Posts
Default Day 3

Day 3, Wednesday, April 28th

I’m stiff and sore. Ibuprofen didn’t seem to help my back much at all this morning. The muscle that runs up the left side of my left shin is incredibly sore, I obviously strained it somehow. I rode my own bike to training this morning and was really wishing I had the heel shifter that I despise so much, just because it hurts to lift the toe shifter.

I came into the barn this morning to see one of the Road Kings up on a jack getting new rear brake pads. Aside from clutch adjustments, the brakes are the first issue with the bikes I’ve seen. The first hour this morning was given to us for practice time. I’m learning to appreciate the practice time, it allows me to work on the things that I know I need to work on at my own pace. I went straight for the slow weave to warm up a bit, then to the offset weave. My performance in the offset weave told me that this might be a long day! I shrugged it off and kept practicing, eventually finding myself at the entrance to the dreaded “intersection”. First run was clean…whew! Second run, bike down! I keep going in too fast. This is a SLOW speed exercise; I need to keep telling myself that. Well, that and “head and eyes UP!”

The focus today was braking. After practice we all went to a straight-away where there were cones marking stopping distance and a radar trailer to measure our speed. I have always been pretty good about practicing my emergency braking so I found this pretty easy. Boring even. We started by coming into the stop area at 25 mph, then 30, then 35, with the object being, obviously, to stop in the shortest amount of space possible without locking your brakes. I understand the importance of this, and I expect we’ll see a lot more of it, but with just one of us at a time doing the exercise, it made for a lot of down time.

After lunch we went back to braking and did that until about 2:30. One of the guys broke a kickstand spring when he hit a curb, so we got the see how those are replaced. We were then led back down to “the pad” for our daily surprise…the “keyhole”, AKA the “360”. Cones are set up in a circle (I couldn’t measure and they wouldn’t tell me, but it looked to be about 18’) with a gate to enter and exit. I’ve seen it before and always marveled at how small it is and how those guys could actually get in, around and out without crashing. And now they expect us to do it on Day 3? Well, as it happens, this was exactly what they expected!

At least 2 of my peers are seriously down on themselves right now. They haven’t been able to do the offset weave clean yet, let alone the intersection, and now the keyhole is being thrown at them. The instructors have been saying all along that the pace would be fast and that, usually by Thursday of week 1, things would start to “click”. I hope they don’t get frustrated to the point of quitting.

After dividing us into 2 smaller groups, we headed off to our respective keyhole to give it a shot. Just as I was about to venture in, I was called over by an instructor for my daily evaluation. My marks in all areas but one have improved from yesterday. The one where they’re still failing me is…all together now…HEAD AND EYES. They love my attitude and have no doubt that I’m right on schedule and will breeze right through this class. If only I were so confident! As we’re chatting, I'm watching out of the corner of my eye and seeing bikes go down left and right in the keyhole. This is gonna be tough!

After my evaluation, I went off to a corner and did some tight full-lock turns on my own, then headed in to give it a shot. First attempt was a bust, bike down at the midway point. Went down right where I was looking I suspect. After a few more full-lock practice turns I try again. This time I actually made it in and all the way around, but missed the exit. Dammit! But, huge confidence boost, I CAN do this. A few more practice turns waiting for another chance to make the keyhole my bitch.

Next time in wasn’t pretty, but I made it! No cones down, no bike down, I made it! I was so excited I went immediately back in and did it again, and then again and again. I may not be the smoothest, or the prettiest, but I’m actually doing it, and my confidence is soaring. It’s probably a good thing when they sounded the horn and ended the day on a high note!

It’s bike night tonight at the local watering hole and I’m not sure I want to go, my back and my left leg need rest.

Last edited by stro1965; 04-28-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:47 PM
Bigcim
Advanced

The degree of skill that veteran motorcycle cops have is amazing to me, good luck. Heres video of some tight turns. listen to the boards scrape.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csf3OmGD8UE

Old 04-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go Stro go!! Thanks again for sharing with us. Sounds like you should go to bike night and have a drink-I think you deserve it.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Crusing
Road Captain

Thanks for the great write-up. Hang in there and I am sure you will do well. While not as extensive, I went through the Ride Like A Pro course on Saturday which is similar with a lot of low speed tight turns using the clutch, brake, and throttle. Gee those guys can make that bike dance. Unfortunately I was less than pleased with my performance and I have a lot of practicing to do. They had engine and bag guard covers you could buy to protect them if you dropped your bike. I sure am glad I bought them, enough said.

Quick Reply: Going through police motor school