General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going through police motor school

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 07:00 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by NOLAT
old, but timeless, EXCELLENT thread!
Now that’s a bump! Here I am winding down my motor career and my career as a cop. Couple years to go and I’ll sign off for good!

The following 3 users liked this post by stro1965:
NOLAT (12-26-2023), oldmanwayne (12-29-2023), Spartanden (12-26-2023)
Old 12-26-2023, 07:18 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

I just re-read my posts throughout this thread. Took me back, that’s for sure. It’s crazy how far I’ve come since then though. The competition bug bit me pretty hard and I’ve been a regular competitor at various motor events around the country. From here in Nebraska to Colorado to Texas, Missouri, Illinois, Tennessee and more. I’ve done very well over the years, bringing home a lot of trophies and plaques, and I’ve become good friends with some of the most highly skilled motor officers in the nation. At 58 years old now, I decided after the last event of 2023 that I’ve probably done enough. Nothing more to prove to anyone or to myself. In fact, over the past couple of months, I fully converted my competition bike (2019 FLHTP) over to be as close to an Ultra as you’ll ever find. Time for some touring with mama again. It’s been a heck of a run though! I have an impressive trophy room and some great photos and videos to look back on when I’m old and gray!

Last edited by stro1965; 12-26-2023 at 07:22 PM.
The following 13 users liked this post by stro1965:
CaffeineBuzz (12-29-2023), Cap77 (12-29-2023), dawg (12-26-2023), GalvTexGuy (12-29-2023), gonemad (12-26-2023), hellonewman (12-26-2023), Jehu (12-29-2023), NOLAT (12-26-2023), OKMICK (12-29-2023), oldmanwayne (12-29-2023), PNW (12-26-2023), ridgebackpilot (12-29-2023), WP50 (12-26-2023) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-26-2023, 08:21 PM
NOLAT
Novice
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I’m commissioned in New Orleans, and again, thoroughly LOVED the detailed write up, thanks for sharing!

The following users liked this post:
stro1965 (12-27-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 02:12 AM
ridgebackpilot
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
I just re-read my posts throughout this thread. Took me back, that’s for sure. It’s crazy how far I’ve come since then though. The competition bug bit me pretty hard and I’ve been a regular competitor at various motor events around the country. From here in Nebraska to Colorado to Texas, Missouri, Illinois, Tennessee and more. I’ve done very well over the years, bringing home a lot of trophies and plaques, and I’ve become good friends with some of the most highly skilled motor officers in the nation. At 58 years old now, I decided after the last event of 2023 that I’ve probably done enough. Nothing more to prove to anyone or to myself. In fact, over the past couple of months, I fully converted my competition bike (2019 FLHTP) over to be as close to an Ultra as you’ll ever find. Time for some touring with mama again. It’s been a heck of a run though! I have an impressive trophy room and some great photos and videos to look back on when I’m old and gray!
@stro1965 Having just acquired a 2021 FLHTP (ex-Omaha PD leased bike), I'm naturally looking for some police-style training like you went through and chronicled 13 years ago. Do you have any recommendations for schools that are open to civilian riders?

I'm aware that Jerry Palladino (Motorman) in Florida teaches motor officer techniques, as do a few others around the country. But I haven't been able to find a school offering that kind of training here in California. Any suggestions would be most welcome, thanks!

Old 12-29-2023, 09:29 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
Now that’s a bump! Here I am winding down my motor career and my career as a cop. Couple years to go and I’ll sign off for good!
I'm glad we have cops like you....dedicated, tough, and competitive. I hope you have a GREAT retirement and finally get to spend the time with your bride. You deserve it and so does she. She sacrificed a lot during your career.

I sincerely mean this: I admire what you had to do to get through that training. My admiration not only comes from what you had to learn and accomplish...you know, the "technical side", but there is so much more that it takes to be a motor officer. I smile a little when folks ask you where civilians can get the training like that. Well, the short answer is: they can't! And I don't mean that in a snarky way. You wrote about your training in a pretty detailed manner. I think most folks miss the parts about the aches and pains you sustained but STILL got up in the morning and went back to do it all again the next day! Then the day after that, etc, etc. That takes GUTS and DETERMINATION. Those are the two things that aren't duplicated in classes in the civilian world. And certainly not in a 4 hour, ONE DAY class. I don't care who's teaching it.

Now, can a 4 hr class help you? YES! More instruction from certified teachers is always a good thing. But to do the things you motor officers were doing is not going to be learned and accomplished in one day. You stated it yourself, and every motor officer I have asked had said the EXACT same thing: I didn't "get it" until after lunch on Thursday...that's when it all started to click and come together.

And if you read my post here, I am open to any criticism or clarification you can throw my way.

stro1965 (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 09:42 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ridgebackpilot
@stro1965 Having just acquired a 2021 FLHTP (ex-Omaha PD leased bike), I'm naturally looking for some police-style training like you went through and chronicled 13 years ago. Do you have any recommendations for schools that are open to civilian riders?

I'm aware that Jerry Palladino (Motorman) in Florida teaches motor officer techniques, as do a few others around the country. But I haven't been able to find a school offering that kind of training here in California. Any suggestions would be most welcome, thanks!
I could point you to classes in the midwest, the east coast and in Texas, but I know of nothing in California. I'm sure there is something available but that's one part of the country I've not spent any time in. Have you reached out to Ride Like A Pro? That's probably where I'd start, but please understand that Ride Like A Pro is only a starting point. By that I mean I don't believe they push you much past beginner level stuff (24' circles as opposed to the sub-17' circles your bike is capable of doing). I'm not knocking it, but it won't have you riding as well as a motor cop or a competition rider. Great starting point though, and I am all about training!

On another note, how did you happen to end up with an Omaha bike? Buy it from Dillon Brothers? I've likely trained and ridden beside your bike a few times over the past few years, as we train and work with Omaha regularly and my best buddy is an instructor there.

Old 12-29-2023, 09:45 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by GOV5
I'm glad we have cops like you....dedicated, tough, and competitive. I hope you have a GREAT retirement and finally get to spend the time with your bride. You deserve it and so does she. She sacrificed a lot during your career.

I sincerely mean this: I admire what you had to do to get through that training. My admiration not only comes from what you had to learn and accomplish...you know, the "technical side", but there is so much more that it takes to be a motor officer. I smile a little when folks ask you where civilians can get the training like that. Well, the short answer is: they can't! And I don't mean that in a snarky way. You wrote about your training in a pretty detailed manner. I think most folks miss the parts about the aches and pains you sustained but STILL got up in the morning and went back to do it all again the next day! Then the day after that, etc, etc. That takes GUTS and DETERMINATION. Those are the two things that aren't duplicated in classes in the civilian world. And certainly not in a 4 hour, ONE DAY class. I don't care who's teaching it.

Now, can a 4 hr class help you? YES! More instruction from certified teachers is always a good thing. But to do the things you motor officers were doing is not going to be learned and accomplished in one day. You stated it yourself, and every motor officer I have asked had said the EXACT same thing: I didn't "get it" until after lunch on Thursday...that's when it all started to click and come together.

And if you read my post here, I am open to any criticism or clarification you can throw my way.
HaHa! I just responded to him and suggested the Ride Like A Pro is a good place to get started but it won't make him a "pro" in any sense of the word. It's decent training, I'm sure, but it's not motor school. And thank you for the kind words. I still have a couple years left but I'm definitely slowing down!

Last edited by stro1965; 12-29-2023 at 10:16 AM.
GOV5 (12-29-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 12:26 PM
NOLAT
Novice

lock and lean, and Midwest motorcycle training are both excellent options, due to the fact that they offer 4-5 day classes, with Rental motors, vs dropping yours repeatedly!!

unfortunately, neither are close to you.

Last edited by NOLAT; 12-29-2023 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-29-2023, 02:53 PM
Evo-Wes
Club Member
Received 2,382 Likes on 675 Posts

This is an excellent thread. Thanks for bringing it back to life. It took me several hours to read the whole thing but was time well spent.

The following 2 users liked this post by Evo-Wes:
NOLAT (12-29-2023), stro1965 (12-29-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 11:02 AM
NOLAT
Novice

Originally Posted by NOLAT
lock and lean, and Midwest motorcycle training are both excellent options, due to the fact that they offer 4-5 day classes, with Rental motors, vs dropping yours repeatedly!!

unfortunately, neither are close to you.

lock and lean video below:

Quick Reply: Going through police motor school