General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going through police motor school

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:55 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

What's wrong with being a city slicker?Please elaborate.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:04 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
My "pro-guards" arrived in the mail today. As I suspected, they are not steel but a thick plastic. They will work...I guess. I'm a little disappointed but they do seem to fit well. They'll survive a crash or three.

http://shop.pro-guards.com/
Stro,had they been made out of steel it would have been pretty difficult to put them on!Congrats for the course.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

More funny news: take a confident buddy out to the cones who thinks he knows how to ride, especially if he's bragged about it! Hilarious!
I had to re-read this thread when I got to finally remembering the keyhole. I hadn't done it because we were doing the figure 8's and circles, so I thought it was the same. NOT!
I had the same problem as Stro - cutting it too early and running towards the other wall, leaving me out of line for the exit. And that on a big circle too, so I now know to stay until 12'o clock before the cut. Some of the simple things elude us. Now I'll finally be wrapping my guards as things are getting tight and I want to get tighter.
In my defense, I HAVE been wearing steel-toed boots!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:04 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Stro: Thanks for posting this, I really enjoyed the read and it reminded me to get out and practice!

Old 01-28-2011, 07:08 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,489 Likes on 3,309 Posts

Thanks for the bump.

I had been following the thread, and I lost it. I think I know why now, but soon afterwards I got hit and had plenty of time but the concussion probably helped with the memory loss.

The guy across the street is a motorcop instructor and he has been invaluable to me. He may have volunteered his bike and hose and cones to go and practice (my son works in his dept.), but I only mentioned that to show how willing he was to help and if I did ride his bike it would be wrong for me to admit it.

These guys are very good, and they want all riders to be better.

I wish my son might do this, but he is really committed to K9 and the dog is too big to fit on the bike comfortably, although I'm sure his dog could get on it. He's awesome. But there'd be no room for the water bowl.

If anyone gets a chance to go watch a motorcops competition, do it. It will humble you. I could always tell when something was coming up, because I'd see the bike across the street laying on its side so he could raise the floorboards up. But the FIRST time I saw it laying down like that, well, never mind, it wasn't a pleasant thought. He says that if you drop the bike you can ride it from the ground into an upright position, but says he wouldn't recommend it for a POV.

Belated congrats, Stro. I could tell you were going to pass (I actually mentioned parts of this thread to the LEO across the street, and he said you were going to make it just by how you were saying what you were saying). And congrats on TopGun, too.

Thanks SO much for taking time to share. You've helped a lot of people. I was SO afraid that on your first day back you'd end up with a foot-bail, and I hope you had time to recover before that happens.

If you ever end up in California, I'm buying.

Last edited by edilgdaor; 01-28-2011 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:17 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read this thread when it started. It's a good one to keep bumping, but I think it might be good for a sticky too. I've noticed a number of new members starting to chime in, so if they are new riders, they would be interested in reading some of the older, but important, threads.
So here goes
....BUMP!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:14 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 350 Posts

Glad you guys enjoyed the thread, and continue to enjoy it. I haven't been able to do a LOT of motor assignments in my capacity as an alternate but I have done a few and have continued to train. I will be competing in a motor officer competition in Missouri in late summer, should be a blast! Keep practicing guys, I can't wait to hit the cones with my new '11 Ultra this spring!

Last edited by stro1965; 02-18-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:39 PM
F34R
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stro, WOW, great thread. I just finished reading the entire thing lol. I feel like putting all this knowledge to work soon.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:23 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Where in MO? Can I come watch? Great thread by the way. Saw it for the first time tonite and read the whole thing! When I first discovered the "look where you want to go" thing, it made an immediate, huge difference in my turning around ability. Would love to have the opportunity to go thru a motorcop course! (on somebody else bike!!)

Old 03-03-2011, 06:37 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
Where in MO? Can I come watch? Great thread by the way. Saw it for the first time tonite and read the whole thing! When I first discovered the "look where you want to go" thing, it made an immediate, huge difference in my turning around ability. Would love to have the opportunity to go thru a motorcop course! (on somebody else bike!!)
It'll be in Liberty, MO in late summer, maybe even September? Not sure on the date but if you're serious I can let you know.

Quick Reply: Going through police motor school