General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going through police motor school

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

My "Rider Improvement Day" was yesterday - only 6 riders showed, and we forgot the video. 97 degrees, our shade was a canopy one ex-marine brought with some cloth folding chairs, about 50 bottle of water between us and we went about 6 levels of the RLAP version before succumbing to the heat, so I can just imagine how you felt.

Only ONE bike dropped because of stalling from not enough throttle - one timid rider who just wouldn't hit it hard enough, but still improved massively. It was amazing to see how bad they all were at first, and what they could do just 5 hours later. I had to teach it from memory, but it's not like some complicated formula.

As soon as they thought they had it going on, I tightened up the cones and ran it with my wife on the back. "No excuses, guys!" (I did hit one cone though)
Every single one of the guys wants to do this again sometime, and try the more advanced levels!

Old 06-20-2010, 08:27 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 350 Posts

That's awesome that you bring guys together for practice like that. I'd sure join ya if I were closer! I've taken buddies out one on one but haven't tried to pull a group together. Ever since "getting it", I think it's a very fun way to ride and I can't resist pushing the "slow speed" limits any chance I get.

Old 06-20-2010, 02:26 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Living in the "Control Zone", man!

Old 06-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Andouille
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is awsome that you are helping others. I would like to start with a few foot dragging, duck walking buddy riders here also. Because of liability, I'm not comfortable for anything more than a few close friends who would like to improve thier skills (also do not want to intrude in someone's livelihood). I think I will try to find some cones I saw a while back that I think they use for soccer. They were really cheap (sure can't afford regular traffic cones) and I think it would be better than tennis ***** cut in half. Mostly for my practice. Of course I'll use the RLAP demensions, which I think is sufficient for most riders.

Before I can do anything, I have to do some practice on my bike (Ultra) and the department's E-glide because I took the entire course on thier Road Kings. Big difference in feel, but the basics are there and should not take too much practice.

I understand why you had to give into the heat. After the first day we decided to start an hour earlier so we could finish before the afternoon heat was too much. Also where I took the course the only shade we had was a small awning that would pull out from thier motorcycle trailer. Had to bring our own cooler with water and gator aid. I did not count how many I drank in those two days, but it was a lot.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Fireman_Rich
Cruiser

Being on the motorcycle medic team at work, I had the opportunity to train with a couple of the motor cops for the city that I work in. Some of the best riders I have had the pleasure of riding with. I learned a great deal from them that day and I use it any time I mount my SG. Congrats on a awesome accomplishment!!!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

I for one don't think that I'm stepping on anyone's toes by teaching my RC or friends how to ride better; they'll have their business anyway, because many people aren't happy unless they're paying for something.
Also, I have the right to keep my friends from running into me or hurting themselves.
Now, I did have some tennis ***** cut in half, painted with orange parking lot paint, but we didn't use them. I found out that sports cones used for soccer, skating, schools and such cost under a buck! One of our guys found them at Target in the reduced bin for .50 each. They are about 8-10" tall and nest into each other very tightly, and take up no room in your saddlebags.
I remind you that it took me 3 hours in the hot sun to set up the course - you won't do this every week. I may do it 2 times a year at best, or just practice on my own.

The hardest things to me are circles under 20', panic stopping without locking the rear brake, and full lock takeoff U-turns. I think it's just because I don't wanna scratch the bike.

Last edited by Quadancer; 06-20-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:54 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 350 Posts

I'm using tennis ***** right now. Cheap and I can carry 100 of 'em very easily. On the downside though, they aren't the same as cones. No danger of an engine guard catching one and they aren't intimidating whatsoever. Cones are more like a "wall" somehow. Purely psychological. But the positives outweigh the negatives for me right now.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:11 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default You guys have medic teams on motorcycles in Cali?

Originally Posted by Fireman_Rich
Being on the motorcycle medic team at work, I had the opportunity to train with a couple of the motor cops for the city that I work in. Some of the best riders I have had the pleasure of riding with. I learned a great deal from them that day and I use it any time I mount my SG. Congrats on a awesome accomplishment!!!!!
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea but no wonder that state is broke.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:56 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member

Not really - can you imagine the lawsuit when a COP hits a car...or a pedestrian? They NEED those skills! Either train them all or risk a percentage of them getting into trouble.
I found the local Blue Knights to be impressive with their parking lot skills and two-abreast formations, but I thought if they wanted to go under speed limit they should do it in the slow lane. I'm just sayin'.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:26 PM
fxdwgslammer
Intermediate

I don't spend a great deal of time on forums and I rarely follow a multipage thread for more than two or three pages. But this was MUCH different. I hadn't seen any of it until yesterday when I was intrigued by the title and started reading the first pages. Here I am 32 pages later, thinking (like some of the rest of you have indicated) that this was one of the most interesting threads that I've encountered.

STRO1965, you have done a masterful job in taking us through the motor cop training with your first-person account. It took some courage to start the thread when the training began and when you didn't know how things would turn out. Like others have stated, it was not only interesting but also very well-written. The pictures and videos were a nice addition to your journal.

Congratulations on not only successfully completing the course but also on being the Top Gun!

Quick Reply: Going through police motor school