General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going through police motor school

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 05:03 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Andouille
Hey Stro, hope you are still keeping up with this thread. I just finished police motor school myself. I did not score perfect and I came out second in my class, but I'm 61 years old. Your thread was a great help in preparing me in what to expect. I did have a lot of second thoughts and wondered what was I doing there at my age. Anyhow, I made up my mind that I was going to see it through no matter what and amazed myself by completing and passing the course.

Again thanks for the heads-up and I can truly say that I'm a much better rider now.

Anybody thinking about it and think you're too old, don't just go ahead and do it.
Sounds like you gave those young whippersnappers a thing or two to think about! Well done!

Old 06-18-2010, 05:05 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 350 Posts

Hey Stro, hope you are still keeping up with this thread. I just finished police motor school myself. I did not score perfect and I came out second in my class, but I'm 61 years old. Your thread was a great help in preparing me in what to expect. I did have a lot of second thoughts and wondered what was I doing there at my age. Anyhow, I made up my mind that I was going to see it through no matter what and amazed myself by completing and passing the course.

Again thanks for the heads-up and I can truly say that I'm a much better rider now.

Anybody thinking about it and think you're too old, don't just go ahead and do it.
That is awesome! Congrats!!!!!!!! (were you as sore as I was???)!!!

Old 06-18-2010, 05:57 PM
jarhead45
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Andouille
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if sore is the correct word. Every bone in my body was aching. Took a pretty hard hit to the shin (still a little sore, but getting better). Took Aleve at night to help sleep (kept the pain away, but did not help with thinking about what was to come tomorrow) and again in the morning to get through the day. After the first week, I thought of just giving up, but just not my nature to quit unless they carry me off.

I have many certifications from my previous job (emergency response), but none I cherish as much as the certificate and wings I received today. For me this was my last and greatest accomplishment. Some here may not think it is much, but all I have to say is you have to "experience it."

Old 06-18-2010, 09:52 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 350 Posts

I don't know if sore is the correct word. Every bone in my body was aching. Took a pretty hard hit to the shin (still a little sore, but getting better). Took Aleve at night to help sleep (kept the pain away, but did not help with thinking about what was to come tomorrow) and again in the morning to get through the day. After the first week, I thought of just giving up, but just not my nature to quit unless they carry me off.

I have many certifications from my previous job (emergency response), but none I cherish as much as the certificate and wings I received today. For me this was my last and greatest accomplishment. Some here may not think it is much, but all I have to say is you have to "experience it."
I couldn't agree more. I told my wife that this one meant more to me than any other training I'd done up to this point. Even framed the certificate!

Old 06-19-2010, 01:43 AM
kabluie
Cruiser

Originally Posted by stro1965
Thanks. Not sure if I mentioned it anywhere in the thread but I was the "old man" in the class!
Goes to show that old age and treachery usually win out in most hand eye contest.

Congrats on Top Gun. This thread has been inspiring and informative. It's probably in the top two or three threads I've read on HDF. I appreciate your time and effort in doing the write ups.

Good luck with your future riding. Hopefully, it'll all be easy now.

Bob Wassam

Old 06-19-2010, 06:36 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andouille - Awesome. Great success, I'm proud of you
stro1965 - Can't say enough about this thread. Thank you for taking the time. Congrats on passing the course - You Made it!

Old 06-19-2010, 07:14 AM
Andouille
Cruiser

Yes mine will be framed also.

One thing I did not mention, I cannot say enough about the instructors we had. We have a small motor department, so I had to go to another Parish (County) which is much larger (actually a City). They also loaned me a Road King to take the class. Now the instructors, they were both competition riders for their department and this was the first time they were allowed to give a class by themselves (Sgt. and Dpy.). It was a pleasure to watch how they worked and taught together. They really did not give up on anyone and would work with you until you saw that you could not make the class (of course not everyone completed the class or passed). Five of us completed and passed, three had taken the course at least once before and one it was his third time. Myself and a younger dpy. from another parish (he was very good, think I may see him in competition pretty soon) were the only 2 new to this class to pass. I know for me the instructors were a big part of my certification and I have to give them the credit they deserve. I think a lot of it was that they also stuck by the book, no shortcuts, favors, just stuck by the book and taught it well.

At lunch the last day, the lead instructor told me that after the first day his only concern with me would by my age. He said he say I had the basics to pass, but the weather was tough. We were in 95+ degree heat and 105+ heat index the entire time. We took the class in a minor league statium parking lot. No place to get out of the heat except the one hour lunch break each day, so I went to the nearest fast food place, ate very light and soaked up the a/c before getting back. Both instructors indicated that this will never happen again, their classes will always be early spring.

Sorry for the long post, but there is so much more I could say.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:31 AM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Rant on. you have earned the right to be proud of this accompliment. i think we all enjoy hearing the details.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:11 PM
mickmayhan
Intermediate

Thanks Stro. I really enjoyed this thread. I already had the RLAP video, but couldn't get past the thought of dropping my bike. I've now ordered the Pro Guards and can't wait to start practicing. Thanks again to all in this thread.

Quick Reply: Going through police motor school