General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going through police motor school

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Stro
You have taken a severe challenge and made it live and breathe for us . You exposed your weaknesses (few) and strengths (many) and in the process put each of us firmly behind the handlebars with you. AS I have gone back to the paring lot to practice the RLAP exercises, I have remembered excerpts from your writing that , as you said, just clicked. Amazingly , reading your stuff has helped me to be a better rider. Congrats on top gun. I think your can do attitude and willingness to meet challenges head on have probably served you well in your career. You're a credit to the badge.

mark, thanks for solving a problem for me with your answer. I'm sure others learned from it as well.

Super thread

Bub

Old 05-11-2010, 02:17 PM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to say Congrats!

Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Ridin'withTheKing
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just found this thread a couple of days ago, and I have been hooked since. Been reading it as I can squeeze in the time. Stro, your posts have been awesome! Well written, detailed, and made me want to sign up for an advanced riders course as soon as I can. I have riden in the wake of many CHP officers out west, and I always figured they were much more trained than the rest of us, but I never really understood to what degree that training went to. Many thanks for your efforts, and dedication. Great job!

Old 05-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Just watched the first half of the RLAP video and as I thought, I don't know everything! The real amazement came on the second half when the exercises were done with much less room! Time to find some tennis ***** and go to work.
Nice to know there is no need to be dropping the bike, the main thing we're worried about.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:23 PM
revzhawg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread! Just ordered the RLAP dvds and signed up for a riding course.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:26 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

My "pro-guards" arrived in the mail today. As I suspected, they are not steel but a thick plastic. They will work...I guess. I'm a little disappointed but they do seem to fit well. They'll survive a crash or three.

http://shop.pro-guards.com/

Old 05-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Blargh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

badass, congrats man - very cool read and nice videos, you make it look easy!

Old 05-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I may hit the junkyard for some radiator hose off a small car...and use some zip ties.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:55 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I may hit the junkyard for some radiator hose off a small car...and use some zip ties.
Hit up your local fire department for old hose and use that, super tough stuff. These guards that I got are pretty thick and they say they are unbreakable. We'll see I guess! I think I'll pull the lower fairings off and wrap towels around the corners of my fairing and tourpac...just in case!

I also found a cheap source for mini-cones. You can get 80 of them for $100.00. It won't be the same as the 18" cones, as you can't tip these over with your engine guard, but they are small enough to toss in a saddlebag.

https://store.msf-usa.org/Store/StoreItems.aspx?cid=3

Old 05-13-2010, 08:11 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I've used tennis ***** cut in half for cones, they work well and are small enough to keep in your bags.

Quick Reply: Going through police motor school