General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going through police motor school

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:50 AM
BcDog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a great read! Thanks STRO for your effort in journalizing this event.Your enthusiasm and attitude for riding was more than evident. I'll echo previous comments in saying I learned a few things and most definitely will be practicing some of these drills/maneuvers to improve my skills. Thanks again for your posts.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:58 AM
ilmanzo31
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so thaaaats the proper way to jump a curb!

Old 05-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Bennington HOG
Cruiser

What a great read! Congrats

Old 05-08-2010, 06:10 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I have enjoyed this thread tremendously. I have followed every post, and can only beging to imagine what you went through. It is better for a man (or woman!) to challenge himself than for someone else to do it. I am so glad you made Top Gun, maybe someday you will be the trainer of this course! Sounds like you have earned the respect that you are now given. I hope that ankle settles down, a hairline crack can haunt you for a long time. You took a lot of time and wrote each summary of the day as professional as a journalist. I have learned from it, and I have no doubts that others did as well. I hope you retire from your career healthy and without serious injury.

Congratulations on your hard-earned achievement. You deserve it!

P.S. we need more LEOs to chime in on the Tweeters drug reform thread, lmfao!

RD

Old 05-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great post.

It brought back a lot of memories for me from my days at motor school. I used to think I knew how to ride a motorcycle. Then I went to motor school in 1991, and after that I could honestly say I knew how to ride. Everything before that was just my guardian angels working overtime.

Every now and then I get someone who wants to take the motor officer prep course BEFORE the Ride Like A Pro course. If they aren't a motor officer candidate, I usually tell them I have to see them ride or take the Ride Like A Pro Course first.

Congrats on the Top Gun Award!

Ride Safe. Be Safe.

Mark

Attached Thumbnails Going through police motor school-kztp-1.jpg  
Old 05-08-2010, 08:24 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 350 Posts

You guys are the greatest! I enjoy this forum so much that I'm glad I was able to give something back!

Old 05-08-2010, 09:01 PM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Stro,

This has to be one of the finest, well written segments I have ever read on any forum. You told the story so well and made event the small things very interesting.

Congrats on finishing, passing and your Top Gun award.

Also, thanks for doing what you do

Old 05-09-2010, 01:15 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

:icon_beerch ug:

Old 05-09-2010, 03:01 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Thanks Stro

Originally Posted by stro1965
Sure, first, make darn sure you're 90 degrees to the curb, or close to it. Put your front tire right up against the curb, give yourself adequate rpm's and pop the clutch just enough to get the front tire up and over. Then bring the rear tire up to the curb until you bump it, roll back a few inches and do the exact same thing again. If you try it with your rear tire right against the curb you'll probably end up just spinning your tire. Don't worry about style points here, keep both feet down for stability.
I am always a little worried about coming off a curb (or sidewalk) and catching the bottom of the front fender.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:21 AM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

That one is easy: shoot off at normal take-off speed; don't try to "climb down". That way the fender clears due to the forward trajectory of the wheel, same for the back. You also have more balance because you're moving. I do it all the time in places I can park on the sidewalk in front of stores, gyms, etc.
Funny part is, even with my SE II's, it can sometimes set off car alarms passing by the front of cars, so you leave the lot with a ruckus behind you.

Quick Reply: Going through police motor school