General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going through police motor school

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:42 PM
vamotorcop
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know exactly what you are going through....I went to basic police motor school and police motor instructor school and that intersection was a b*tch for me too......one thing that helped me was when I got frustrated and lost my confidence, I would go to an easy course to build up my confidence....FWIW....when you clear a course, move on to another....if you dont, most likely you will screw up and there goes the frustration....do what the instructors tell ya and you'll do fine....nothing like hearing those floorboards scrape...good luck to ya...

Old 04-27-2010, 08:50 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Great thread. I've always wondered what kind of training they do and hope to make a run with the SCRC to the Tennessee competitions.
I would have expected them to put you in kneepads, leathers and fullface helmet for training. Cool to see just a helmet.
Wish I could borrow a crap dresser to try some of that stuff out on - just can't bring myself to push it on mine.

Last edited by Quadancer; 04-27-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:51 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cool write-up, thanks. What is the avg percentage of riders that make it through the course?

Last edited by petemac; 04-28-2010 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:54 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info.......keep after it. YOU CAN DO IT! So each time you put her down, did you have to pick it up by yourself? That, even with the butt to set/leg technique, would wear my back out PDQ.

Thanks for the update, looking forward to "the rest of the story."

Old 04-27-2010, 09:17 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm fully prepared for the possibility that I may not pass, that will be OK. No doubt about it, I'm a better rider after just 2 days of this stuff, so whatever I can pick up will help!

About the bikes...all of them are "guarded", some with fire hose on the engine guards and fairing corners, some with fancier custom made stuff.

And yes Indy, you have to pick up your bike when you drop it. If someone is close by you might get help, but maybe not. My back and legs are sore.

I have more riding experience than most in the class, at least one is a complete beginner. He told me that today was his 6th day of riding...ever. I honestly don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing! He may have an advantage!

Old 04-27-2010, 09:26 PM
mid evil train
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stro1965
Thanks for the words of encouragement! I'm fully prepared for the possibility that I may not pass, that will be OK. No doubt about it, I'm a better rider after just 2 days of this stuff, so whatever I can pick up will help!

About the bikes...all of them are "guarded", some with fire hose on the engine guards and fairing corners, some with fancier custom made stuff.

And yes Indy, you have to pick up your bike when you drop it. If someone is close by you might get help, but maybe not. My back and legs are sore.

I have more riding experience than most in the class, at least one is a complete beginner. He told me that today was his 6th day of riding...ever. I honestly don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing! He may have an advantage!
I have seen where no experience can be better, because you dont have to break them of bad habbits that have formed over years of riding. On the other hand, you either have the ability, or you dont. I'm sure you'll do fine, and remember, keep those feet on the floor boards, those saddlebags are very unforgiving on the ankles.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

THANK YOU!! for the in depth post about your class, sounds like your on the right track. Hang in there i'm sure you'll succeed, sounds like your confidence is getting better as time/experience is gained. Looking forward to next post and graduation pictures.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It's interesting to read what you guys have to go through. I'm gaining a new respect for motor officers.
Good luck, and thank you for your service.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:58 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

The course you're describing is the same as our local m/c cops train on. I've become acquainted with some of them, and attended one of their training days. I was permitted to try the weave and the offset weave and figure 8's on my own Ultra (not authorized to ride police motorcycles) and wiped out easily. Then I asked the instructor to do the weave on my motorcycle and he wimped out half way through, because he would've had to start scraping boards to stay in the course.

By just observing the training, and listening to the instructor telling me what the objectives are, helped me immensely in my own riding. I can do full lock U turns and no longer fear taking curves at high speeds. I ride with some of them off duty, and I get praised for my ability. Well, I've been riding for 40+years, but still, I learned a bunch observing police motor training.

Great thread.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:47 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to share that experience with us here! I've always wondered what those courses are like.

I'm also interested in the experience/inexperience thing. The British Army's famed White Helmets usually assigns soldiers with zero riding experience. But, as soldiers, they train for the job and learn to ride those Triumphs like nobody's business.

You also already ride a Harley. Are there sportbike or dirtbike guys who, though experienced, are new to heavy cruiser-type bikes? How are they doing?

Hey, thanks again!!! very cool of you

Quick Reply: Going through police motor school