General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going through police motor school

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 09:49 PM
ptagrad2001
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck on the test, great post. One of the first I have read from start to finish. I cant believe I finally start to read this today only to have to wait for the last chapter. I have that cliffhanger feeling. It sounds like you should be fine though as long as you get out there and do what you do.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:09 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by ilmanzo31
the keyhole is 17' diameter, and the iron cross was 18' in each of the corners...thats all i can remember.... did you guys cut out your rubber fork stops??
The instructors say they "aren't allowed" to tell us the actual dimensions of the exercises. Not sure why, unless they are afraid it will get into our heads and mess us up. Just looking at the darn things those first few days messed me up enough! And no, no mods to the fork stops as far as I know. You might have noticed that the bike I'm riding is stripped down. It gets traded in next week, they held back the "old" '09 bike just for the class.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:34 PM
buttman
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

delete

Old 05-05-2010, 12:09 AM
buttman
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Stroh, when do they teach you this?

Name:  IMG_1606a.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  65.1 KB

This is my son-in-law after watching the RLAP videos.....I don't know if you can see it on this pic, but his floorboards are shaved down to razor blades. I can't even come close to his abilities on the slow course......all I can say is it takes a lot of practice.

Now that he has two kids on the ground, he can't ride like this any more......no practice time left in his life....HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Last edited by buttman; 05-05-2010 at 12:15 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:08 AM
ilmanzo31
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went through the course in 04. was riding a '96 carbed eglide with a bad clutch and broken air bladder in the seat. THAT was fun! the fork stops were cut completely off. you dont need it, but that extra 1/2" radius on the handlebars is the secret for guys struggling.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:09 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

That's impressive! I am scraping boards but I don't think I'm ready to try it "sidesaddle" just yet (or ever)!!

Originally Posted by buttman
Hey Stroh, when do they teach you this?

This is my son-in-law after watching the RLAP videos.....I don't know if you can see it on this pic, but his floorboards are shaved down to razor blades. I can't even come close to his abilities on the slow course......all I can say is it takes a lot of practice.

Now that he has two kids on the ground, he can't ride like this any more......no practice time left in his life....HAHAHAHA!!!!!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Jade Dragon
Cruiser

Not trying to thread jack here but I have a question about your foot pegs or floor boards when doing these exercises. They scrape the pavement and you should get used to that sound right?. My problem in doing this training is that I have expensive chrome pegs on my bike. Would you do the training on your own scoot? If so what kind of pegs would you put on? I am not going to scrape pavement on these unless the real riding situation requires it. Too much $$$ to replace.

Last edited by Jade Dragon; 05-05-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:39 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jade Dragon
Not trying to thread jack here but I have a question about your foot pegs or floor boards when doing these exercises. They scrape the pavement and you should get used to that sound right?. My problem in doing this training is that I have expensive chrome pegs on my bike. Would you do the training on your own scoot? If so what kind of pegs would you put on? I am not going to scrape pavement on these unless the real riding situation requires it. Too much $$$ to replace.
I don't blame you a bit for being concerned. I wouldn't do these things on my own bike unless it were "guarded". Early in the thread someone provided a link to a place that sells guards to attach to engine guards and saddlebag guards. I know some of the guys even have guards on their floorboards. I will be buying guards for my bike so I can keep working on this stuff just because these skills are perishable. If you don't keep doing it, you'll lose it.

Old 05-05-2010, 11:59 AM
soundman
Road Captain

Great thread! I took the RLAP course and also wanted the dims for the police course. My instructor warned against me doing the tighter courses because it was harder on the clutch and brake. I did them anyways and no doubt, I ended up replacing my clutch. That 18' iron cross was tough. I managed to nail it, but learned that I had to go lock to lock real fast with no hesitation or it wouldn't work. BTW...there is a website link given on the RLAP dvd at the end for a layout of police courses. That's where I got mine from.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:55 PM
steak guy
Advanced

Stro, please add me to the list of people cheering for you! Very inspiring both from the dedication you are showing, to the knowledge you are passing along. Great amount of respect coming your way. For the job you do especially, and for your time to motivate us to ride safe.

Quick Reply: Going through police motor school