General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going through police motor school

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm left handed and feel the same way.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:32 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 710 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by djamann
I know I can manuver better now after learning about the friction zone and apply rear brake in slow manuvers. It really does allow for more control.
We are using the friction zone for all of the slow speed stuff, and without dragging the rear brake I would be in serious trouble! I'm told that the experienced guys do these exercises routinely WITHOUT dragging the rear brake. I can't even imagine that yet!

Old 04-29-2010, 09:36 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Quadancer
I'm left handed and feel the same way.
I honestly don't know why it feels so different turning tight clockwise, but I suspect that it has more to do with the throttle being tucked in so tight than whether you're right or left handed. But if Northwestern University can't figure it out, and they've tried, we probably won't either!

It's weird for me because I made some real progress today, in that I can now do full lock board scraping circles in both directions as long as there aren't any damn cones in the picture. Throw me into the cones and I tend to want to bail out as soon as the right floorboard drags. Left side doesn't bother me. I have no idea why but it's all mental at this point.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:43 PM
oldbagr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stro - thanks for sharing so transparently what you are personally experiencing as well as your personal challenges. Your attitude will get you through the challenges of the class and you are going to be a great instructor to future classes someday. Continued best wishes for your successful completion and graduation.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by oldbagr
Stro - thanks for sharing so transparently what you are personally experiencing as well as your personal challenges. Your attitude will get you through the challenges of the class and you are going to be a great instructor to future classes someday. Continued best wishes for your successful completion and graduation.
Thanks for the kind words from you and everyone else. Writing about it may help someone or, if nothing else, satisfy curiosities. Besides, it helps me to unwind and track my own progress (or lack thereof) throughout the class.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:32 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

great thread , looking forward to more updates

however it is making me think that buying a used police bike may not be the best idea

Old 04-30-2010, 06:39 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by not_so_newb
great thread , looking forward to more updates

however it is making me think that buying a used police bike may not be the best idea

They do take some abuse but, I'll tell ya, I am gaining a new appreciation for just how tough these bikes really are!!

Old 04-30-2010, 06:59 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job on this thread and on your perseverance going through school. More than that, thanks for the job you do. Did 11 years for a large department in the Pacific Northwest...and 7 of it was as a K9 handler. School for that was 4 months long...5 days (or should I say nights) a week. Felt like all I did for the most part was spend 5 nights a week chasing the hairy varmint all over Pierce County...but I wouldn't trade a minute of it.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:10 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you are having great weather, that has to help a little with the bumps and bruises. Curious to know have the instructors ever told the class how many times the average trainee drops the bike during the full two week course? You write about it in your case and others like the rest of us would talk about starting our bikes. I can just imagine a large group of 800 lb bikes constantly going down and it's just "OK guys, pop it up and let's go."

Interesting to me the right/clockwise maneuvers give you the most difficulty. In my ERC years ago, the closest I have ever came to what you are going through and like comparing a kids bicycle race to the Moto GP,clockwise turns always gave me the biggest pucker factor. Used to think me = but just decided it was something I had to practice to make it as second nature as possible.

As before, really appreciate the updates and we're pulling for you! Hope the class gets the weekend off to heal a bit.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:15 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by IndyClassic
Curious to know have the instructors ever told the class how many times the average trainee drops the bike during the full two week course? You write about it in your case and others like the rest of us would talk about starting our bikes. I can just imagine a large group of 800 lb bikes constantly going down and it's just "OK guys, pop it up and let's go."
Dropping the bikes is to be expected. They say that the only way to know the limits is to push the limits! Honestly, I think there is maybe one guy in class dropping his bike less than I am, the others are about like me or more. Some are alot more!

Quick Reply: Going through police motor school