General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tent for MC or How to turn the red mistress into a hillbilly cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 09:22 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Default New tent for MC or How to turn the red mistress into a hillbilly cruiser

I am such a geek. I got a new tent last night. This one for the bike.

I am already planning on some MC camping. Plus I am a geek about camping.

I got the REI camp dome2. Really cheap for a good tent ($100) plus pretty light and small (about 4.5 lbs). New tent for MC or How to turn the red mistress into a hillbilly cruiser-campdome2.jpg

I did a test pack of the bike with the tent/ sleeping pad in a waterpoof bag and the sleeping bag in a water proof stuff sack. I got one cargo net but may get a second.
Funny thing about test packing is that it transformed my glamor bike the red mistress into a hilly billy cruiser. She is still the red mistress but this is her Beverly hillbilly look. I am thinking of attaching some pots and a riffle to to complete the package LOL. New tent for MC or How to turn the red mistress into a hillbilly cruiser-hillbillycruiser.jpg
Now I want to go camping this weekend.. I think I might pull it off.

But how do people pack their bikes for MC camping. Anything I should be awhere of?
Post pics if you have them.
Also any warnings. The gear on top of my bag is light probably 8 lbs at the most since it is only 5 lb tent, sleeping pad and sleeping bag.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:41 AM
karlmdog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very fitting that you would start a thread about tents Liz, because you are personally responsible for more guys pitchin a tent around here than anyone!
(The Mistress looks good in hillbilly garb, enjoy camping)

Old 04-27-2010, 10:17 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I did a 14 day camping trip from Chicago to Sturgis on the Dyna riding two up. We had clothes sleeping bags, tent, tools..... First thing I recommend is if you do not have a luggage rack, put on a detachable one and get a sissy bar bag that sits on the luggage rack. I also used some sleeping bags that roll up into a package about 5 inches in diameter and about 8 inches long. Very inexpensive and I got them at walmart. I used bungie chords to attach some stuff onto the top of the saddlebag lids, and a cargo net to hold the helmets on top of the sissy bar bag when we were in states not requiring helmets. Pack clothes in gallon size ziplock bags (one days worth per bag). Squish the air out of the bag and they are easy to stuff into the saddlebags.

Another thing I often do - if I am going to be staying at any one place more than a few days - I contact the campground and arrange for them to accept a UPS shippment of stuff like a larger tent, folding chairs, and anything else that will make your stay more comfortable.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:18 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

My only advice is to make sure everything is tied down super secure. Wind and the vibration of the bike can work things loose. Also watch the handling of the bike. It will change. Especially around large gust of wind like you would see around semi-s and the like.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:22 AM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 479 Posts

i think you've got the basics figured out . light stuff at the top , heavy stuff as low on the bike as you can .

get out the hose and give everything a good spray to make sure how waterproof those bags are . better to find out now that they leak rather than after a day of riding in the rain .

i used to do motorcycle camping , but soon discovered that even the cheapest of motels is more comfortable than a sleeping bag on the ground .

have fun !

Old 04-27-2010, 10:32 AM
orbiker
Cruiser

If you are good at knots and rope, you can secure the load better then bungies. Put the heavy pieces on the bottom of the load. A compression sack for sleeping helps shrink the load too.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:40 AM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sweet! I'm jones'n for a cycle camp trip somewhere. I just dug out all my dry bags and compression sacks.
I'm planning on camping at Wakarusa this year, all carried on the scoot.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:49 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Liz, I camp a few times a year. I used to put the T-bag on the backrest sideways with the tent underneath (and a few campchairs). I like those white ratcheting Harley straps. They keep stuff secured and don't loosen up down the road (see the first picture). I would normally put luggage behind my seat on the passenger part of the seat but that's not an option when my girlfriend comes along. The second shot is how I camp now.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:57 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

Check yur Gear Good when you make a Stop , see if anything is startin to come Loose

Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 AM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PineyRider
Liz, I camp a few times a year. I used to put the T-bag on the backrest sideways with the tent underneath (and a few campchairs). I like those white ratcheting Harley straps. They keep stuff secured and don't loosen up down the road (see the first picture). I would normally put luggage behind my seat on the passenger part of the seat but that's not an option when my girlfriend comes along. The second shot is how I camp now.

Those tie downs are great. I may get some for the bike. You got them at HD? I always worry about bungees. I also have this roll of super crazy velcro that doesn't loosen.
I mainly have all the gear I am going to get. the black bag is the bag I got a few weeks ago for trips. I already own a good bag, sleeping pad, and camp stove.

I love motels but I actually love sleeping in a tent. I feel off if I don't get some time in a tent. Esp beach camping...

I love the trailer...

Quick Reply: New tent for MC or How to turn the red mistress into a hillbilly cruiser