General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport bikes and HD's

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:05 AM
HDRusty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport bikes and HD's

This pay not go over to well but eff it...

So there are a few things that my WG does not do well. But I really need to go no further then the fact that it has the ground clearance of a 16 year olds lowered honda civic...

I however am so in love with HD that I was thinking about building an HD "sport bike". Maybe something along the lines of a cafe racer, or even something a little more extreme. Can anyone point me into a direction as far as any companys that make sport bike/cafe racer frames that can be used for 1200 sportser swaps? Or even sure fire ways to turn a sportster into one? I was thinking about keeping cost down seeing as how this will be a project bike...

Old 04-27-2010, 08:21 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

For a Sport bike, find a used Buell.
I've also seen cool looking cafe style bikes made from Sportsters or Dynas.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:22 AM
HDRusty
Cruiser

I am thinking cafe style may be the easier way to go.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:24 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

start here:

http://motorcyclecruiser.com/newsand...right_rear.jpg

change the tank and put on a pan seat if you want, maybe an arlen ness fairing and you got yourself a nice little fast cafe racer.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:26 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Old 04-27-2010, 08:35 AM
HDRusty
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mcrider1
I do love that bike. However seeing as how I dropped enough coin on my WG I am hoping to find someone's used 1200 to do up myself. If I can just find one cheep...

Last edited by HDRusty; 04-27-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:40 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HDRusty
I do love that bike. However seeing as how I dropped enough coin on my WG I am hoping to find someone's used 1200 to do up myself. If I can just find on cheep...
You should be able to find a nice Sportster for almost nothing before long. Once the trade in deal on them is over, they won't be able to give them all away!

Old 04-27-2010, 08:45 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by HDRusty
I do love that bike. However seeing as how I dropped enough coin on my WG I am hoping to find someone's used 1200 to do up myself. If I can just find one cheep...
you can get a used sportster cheap i got mine for $2000, but for the performance you're looking for you'll have to look at changing, heads, cams, ignition, possibly larger pistons. it's going to run you another $2,000 in engine work.

if you just want that cafe look and a stock sportster performance you do it real cheap, not sure why you would want to change the frame, cafe's use swingarms.

there are companies that fabricate the seat pans and tanks for cafe's on sportsters you just have to look around.

xlforum.net has a ton of info and sections on doing just this.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:05 AM
HDRusty
Cruiser

I don't mind picking up a $2000 bike and putting another $2000 into the motor. I just need to find a $2000 bike first! And trust me, Its not exactly land of the plentiful in upstate NY

Old 04-27-2010, 09:35 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

yeah look more in long island, north jersey, or even hudson valley to find a nice used sportster. if you're tearing the motor down anyway you can probably find one broke down a guy is looking to toss away and get what he can for it. my bike i bought for $2000 and all it needed was a new ground wire, starter relay, battery, and TLC but it frustrated the guy enough he just wanted it gone. check e-bay and craigslist daily the deals are out there.

don't change the frame out not worth the hassle to go to another swingarm, if you're doing a bobber with a hardtail frame conversion sure. but your sporty even with every mod in the world will not be all that fast, the motor is limited.

toss on one of these:

http://www.swingarm.com/

it would instantly convert the backend of the bike, jmc swingarms look sick on sporties.

i like where you're going with this, it's a whole other world converting sporties that the "sporties are a girls bike" crowd doesn't even realize. i'm not a huge fan of the cafe style on a sporty but i've seen some done up real nice.

Last edited by babalu; 04-27-2010 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Sport bikes and HD's