General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport bikes and HD's

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 AM
BlackRob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why spend so much money turning a Harley into something it's not? You can get a slightly used jap sportbike for dirt cheap that will out corner and run circles around anything you can build a Sportster into. Strip off the fairing, put some dirtbike bars on and you can have a real cafe racer. Or better yet you can call it a true bobber, unlike all the other flat black wanna-be bad *** bobbers that are slow as pond water and handle like crap. Best part is you'll have a blast riding the wheels off the bike. Sportbikes will change your mind about what motorcycling really is all about.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:08 AM
HDRusty
Cruiser

that xr1200 is right up my alley. I LOVE the look of them. I think with a little work to the motor on one of those and I could be pretty happy.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:10 AM
HDRusty
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BlackRob
Why spend so much money turning a Harley into something it's not? You can get a slightly used jap sportbike for dirt cheap that will out corner and run circles around anything you can build a Sportster into. Strip off the fairing, put some dirtbike bars on and you can have a real cafe racer. Or better yet you can call it a true bobber, unlike all the other flat black wanna-be bad *** bobbers that are slow as pond water and handle like crap. Best part is you'll have a blast riding the wheels off the bike. Sportbikes will change your mind about what motorcycling really is all about.
I still have my 07 CBR 1000, which I love. But I am looking for something vtwin and fast(ish). I know nothing will ever come close to my rice rocket, but an HD that I could get into a corner with... That would be fun.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:10 PM
shimmon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look up member JRK5892... he has built a few cafe's in his time. he also has a cafe forum that might interest you. here is a link to his street fighter build... its one bad machine https://www.hdforums.com/forum/custo...ter-build.html

Old 04-27-2010, 01:51 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love HD's and sport bikes so that is why I have both. Both have there place. You might want to search Hillbilly choppers. They have some sick sets up that you can use a sporty engine on and I have seen one that was awesome! It had a turbo, SV 650 tail and inverted forks, but still looked kinda like an HD.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:00 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by HDRusty
I still have my 07 CBR 1000, which I love. But I am looking for something vtwin and fast(ish). I know nothing will ever come close to my rice rocket, but an HD that I could get into a corner with... That would be fun.
Just get yourself a "Thunder Chicken" or an RC51 if you want a low cost fast VTwin.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:07 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

don't listen to these guys, if you want to costumize the sporty into a cafe or bobber of whatever go ahead and do it, it's cheap, easy, and sporties can and do move with some easy engine work and the proper setup. a "true cafe" or bobber isn't going to be on an old jap bike, they don't even let dudes post on jockey journal with jap bikes.

if all we wanted was performance none of us would be riding harley's there's not one of them that performs anywhere near the top of its class so the argument is better left for a different board.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:38 PM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep the CBR and the HD and have the best of both worlds. Besides paying for upkeep and having to insure 2 bikes the is what bike to take out LOL! Some days i'm so torn

Old 04-27-2010, 02:52 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 278 Posts

that xr1200 is right up my alley. I LOVE the look of them. I think with a little work to the motor on one of those and I could be pretty happy.
A few years ago I ran around on a 2001 XL with 100hp/88ft lbs. I've ridden Aprilia, BMW and Honda's; sorry; nothing like a 'boomin V-twin; at least for me.....

Bear in mind that the "current" rubber mount Sporties are nearly 600lbs gassed; my current FXDXT with $ome lighweight parts is 607lbs with 1/2 tank of gas...I'd love to do a lightweight 2001-2003 Sporty with an 88" motor...that would be major fun. However; just bought a 68 Bonnie with a bolt-on hardtail that we're gonna turn into a bobber for the son-in-law; but I'll be looking for an 01-03 XL next fall in the southwest...expect to pay less than $3G. XL forum is an excellent resource.

Attached Thumbnails Sport bikes and HD's-old-muscle.jpg  
Old 04-27-2010, 03:12 PM
eisterd
Road Captain

I don't mind picking up a $2000 bike and putting another $2000 into the motor. I just need to find a $2000 bike first! And trust me, Its not exactly land of the plentiful in upstate NY
How's my old home town? Hey, you might try looking up theft recovered type places that sell chit for insurance companies. I happened upon a site like that and saw some interesting stuff.

Quick Reply: Sport bikes and HD's