General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade-ins yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 09:14 PM
PA Bagger
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trade-ins yes or no?

Hi, has any one had good luck trading in a used Harley at the dealer? I just had my 02 RK Classic at a local shop and the sales man offered me $8300. I told him that if these were going for that much I would buy another one! Maybe I was out of line but when the new Classic I was looking at was 20g's I thought he could do a little better! Any way if any one has a tip on trading Harles in please let me know. O- the reason I was so into trade was the e-mail HD sent me about how low my payment could be last week and trade saves on taxes! Wow, I thought I would feel better after that. O well

Old 04-25-2010, 09:30 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

usually you will do better on a private sale , but with the economy in the dumps , may take a while to sell it ..

at least with the dealer , you're done with it right now , finished ..

my personal opinion is this :

1) if the '02 is paid for , keep it

2) if the '02 is not paid for , keep it

3) what I'm saying is , I would not want any new payments in this economy , cause its not getting any better at the moment ..

Payments may be low , but do you really want 5-7 years worth of payments just to have a new bike ??

Would seriously reconsider this one ..

Old 04-25-2010, 09:49 PM
PA Bagger
Novice

Ya, you are right, but.... those 2010s are nice! I might have to let my 93 Ultra glide go too, just to get 1 new one. Or I will change a couple of things on the bikes I have and get it out of my system.

Attached Thumbnails Trade-ins yes or no?-dsc_0449.jpg  
Old 04-26-2010, 04:37 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

Depending on the milage and condition, $8,300 may not be a bad trade in value. Is there any other vehicle that can retain half it's value 8 years later? Leave the emotional attachment to your bike behind and look at it strictly from a financial stand point. We're proud of our bikes and always think they are worth more than they really are.

There's not real tip to trades. It's all in your negotiating skills. If your bike is in good shape, you just have to decide if it's worth it to get the newer bike. Especially since you are looking at the same model.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:49 AM
sunrise rider
Cruiser

Remember no matter what they give you for your trade their going to sell it for more. If you really want to trade your bike in negotiate off of trade in or off of price of new bike. Of course their in the business to make a profit, but don't let them steal your ride.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:08 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My closest dealer doesn't do trade-ins, although he will sell your old bike on consignment. As a result I've never bought a bike from him. As said above, I want to be done with the deal right then. I don't like the hassle of trying to sell one yourself.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:14 AM
Raiderse
Cruiser
Talking

Originally Posted by PA Bagger
Hi, has any one had good luck trading in a used Harley at the dealer? I just had my 02 RK Classic at a local shop and the sales man offered me $8300. I told him that if these were going for that much I would buy another one! Maybe I was out of line but when the new Classic I was looking at was 20g's I thought he could do a little better! Any way if any one has a tip on trading Harles in please let me know. O- the reason I was so into trade was the e-mail HD sent me about how low my payment could be last week and trade saves on taxes! Wow, I thought I would feel better after that. O well

NE Pa huh? That is where I am originally from. Electric City H-D, Vreeland's, Baer H-D?

I have been buyng new Harleys (6) since Sept of '03 and have gain this information: Many different things determine how good of a deal you get on a trade.
The Size and inventory of the dealership. Usually do better at larger Dealerships with trade-ins. Trade befroe they become too old maybe each model year.
What day of the month you buy makes a HUGE difference. Go as close to the end of the month as you can. go back a second time or so to show you are serious and always make them an offer that you will take TODAY. Then let them come bakc weith the counter.
... On a little side note. I am 50 years old. Looking back on the bikes over the last 7 years. "04 Roadking, '04 Electra Glide. '08 Low Rider '08 RoadKing, '09 RoadKing '10 Streetglide. should have kept my '04 Roadking. Why, perfect bike IMHO. The '88 (as I see it) and the 5 speed trans was a match made in heaven. the 88 would go down lower in rpms without lugging and the 5 speed alsways seemed to be in the right gear ALL the time.

The ride on the touring models changed drastrically in '09 ... much stiffer and way more uncomfortable. It does handle better but the suspension will be more punishing than and '08 or earlier. I am sorry that I moved past'08 especially because of the ride. The handling may be better but, I never had any issue because ii do not try to strighten winding roads on a touring bike. I just feel H-D should have left the stiffer suspension to the sportier models. I really liked the pre '08 suspension better enough to be considering going for a used one. What is holding me back is I buy new to try to avoid problems and I would have to know the used bike owner/history etc ... Maybe a friend selling one. I am seriously considering a softail at this point only because I am finding out that the rear suspension is "more cushy" than the '09 and later touring rear suspension. I have taken alot of sharp blows to my back from bumps in the road on my '09 and '10 that where no big deal on my earlier touring bikes. Just something to think about.

Last edited by Raiderse; 04-26-2010 at 05:16 AM. Reason: correct errors
Old 04-26-2010, 05:51 AM
PA Bagger
Novice

Thanks for the info, and sorry when I said "classic" I wanted to say e-glide classic. last year I was at the same dealer and they offered me 11,000, I should have jumped on it but I was just not ready (wife was not ready) at that time! Thanks Scott

Old 04-26-2010, 06:05 AM
rlowride
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

remember.....
they NEED to sell bikes,
you DONT NEED to buy bikes...

Go in there..
I want this bike for... 19500 OTD..
and will take no less than 10000 for mine..
if they do it.. you get a bike.. if they dont.... you still have your trusty road king!!!
of course use the numbers you want, but remember, you are the Main person in the sell....not them...
I went to trade my deuce in for a police road king..
i told dude, dont care about your numbers.. do what you need to do...
i will pay a 4000 otd difference and thats it!
he came back at 9600..... i said, do his, fix that, change this and I will go 6000 otd...
he said they cant,
I said,
No problem.. walked away... total of about 10 minutes worth of work..
no bubbles no troubles
your the driver, not the dealer!

Old 04-26-2010, 06:09 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Yes !. Just work out the numbers to your satisification...Only if you can afford a new bike. Just one less headache to sell your bike outright. Trade/get a new bike and get it over with. You'd be out riding and sporting a huge smile on your face.

Thorey

Quick Reply: Trade-ins yes or no?