General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trade-ins yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 07:57 AM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

BTW, Used motorcycle "blue book" values are available on the web. kbb.com lists your bike at $8530 trade-in. nada.com lists your bike as $8110 "low retail" (closer to trade-in) and $9785 "high retail" (closer to what you could sell it for).

My $0.02 is that the dealer was being pretty reasonable for a trade in, they just aren't going to go beyond those blue book type values. If you decide to trade, strip all of the aftermarket accessories off that you can and return the bike to stock. You can usually make up a few hundred bucks by selling those parts separately, and it won't make a hill of beans difference to the dealer on your trade value (guarantee they didn't factor it into what they are giving you for the bike).

Old 04-26-2010, 01:55 PM
wide glider
Road Master
Received 1,172 Likes on 354 Posts

PA Bagger, for what it's worth, I think you have two great looking rides sitting in your garage right now. If you can manage the insurance on both, I'd keep both and forget about a new bike. This is still a tough economy, and anything can happen. I don't think I've bought a new bike yet where I didn't have a little buyer's remorse a week or two later when the new wears off...and I seem to enjoy the bikes more after the first inevitable scratches from day to day use. You just stop worrying and have fun riding, which is what it is really all about. If you really feel the need to spend a little, perhaps make that RoadKing a little more of a solo ride, seeing as you have the best bike for two-up riding already. Good luck in your decision!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:28 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you really want that new bike now make the deal and be through with it,enjoy your new bike.
Coming here and asking our advice will only make things harder on you!!
You'll never win when you trade in anything !!!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:32 PM
WillyHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I figured on getting between $5,500 and $6,500 for my 03 FXST. They are offered ~$7,500 and I jumped on it.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerDriver
usually you will do better on a private sale , but with the economy in the dumps , may take a while to sell it ..

at least with the dealer , you're done with it right now , finished ..

my personal opinion is this :

1) if the '02 is paid for , keep it

2) if the '02 is not paid for , keep it

3) what I'm saying is , I would not want any new payments in this economy , cause its not getting any better at the moment ..

Payments may be low , but do you really want 5-7 years worth of payments just to have a new bike ??

Would seriously reconsider this one ..

^^^^^

I second what BaggerDriver say's. From the looks of your garage it doesn't look like your hurting for a new bike, or another bike for that matter. The way the economy is going, waiting may be the best bet. Most dealers still will not go below MSRP....that may change in time. As showrooms fill up with inventory, the dealer is more likely to be flexible. Especially during inventory tax time. Dealers usually make more money on used bikes than new bikes. They buy low and sell high. The best time to get your best deal....assuming they might go below MSRP, is when bad weather has affected sales numbers. Sales managers like to meet their monthly objectives. Lousy weather and low sales numbers can mean better deals come the end of the month. I would peek into the sales managers office to see if he has his unit numbers posted on a bulletin board. But 5 to 7 years of payments in a bad ecomomy well.....is the bike that much better???

Tech23

Old 04-26-2010, 04:40 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

they do tend to be on the cheap *** side when telling you what they'll give for your bike.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:57 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 683 Posts

All that matters is the out the door price. Figure out what you would be willing to pay for the bike after taxes and all fees, and trading in your bike. Offer that to them by saying "I'll give you my bike plus $10,500 for the new one"

The reason why you do it this way is because they might knock some cash off the price of the bike, or pad you bikes price, or whatever. The point is that if they gave you $1,000 for your bike but knowcked $10,000 off the price of the new one, it comes out the same.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:16 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've traded in at the local dealer 4 times (2 mine, 2 hers) and every time the dealer has come within $1000 of what I figured I could sell the bike for IF I wanted to spend the time and wait for the right buyer to come along. As much as I like to horsetrade, negotiate, haggle and all, it's been worth it to me to trade them in and be done with 'em. I work 14 hours most days, and I find as I get older that my time is valuable. I have also used up most of my patience for dealing with people who just want to entertain themselves with the idea of buying a Harley. The dealer has been fair with me on every deal - always coming in substantially above wholesale book - and that's really all I can ask for. They always give a limited-time discount on the add-ons, and they treat us like valued customers.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Seascape
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That actually sounds like a good trade in deal on an 02.

Go the last day of the month to buy a bike you'll get better deals.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:09 PM
dcobra23
Tourer

Yeah the dude at the shop is gonna give you $8300 and sell it for $10300! sell it yourself and keep the scratch in your pocket. 02, I would keep it and buy another one.....

Good luck either way!!!!!!