General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque wrench question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 05:04 AM
Fyrefight
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dstonemega
Mechanic by trade here. Somethings really do need to be torqued, such as main and rod bearings etc.... Most stuff is just fine using the German torque method (Gudentight).
I know that method. Kinda like "spot torquing". Tighten it until you see spots.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:32 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
I have two Craftsman torque wrenches. One for inch-pounds, one for feet-pounds. I have never heard to leave them unloaded. Mine have been in storage since 2004 , probably still set to the last time I put a set of heads on a SBC.

Would they still be accurate, IF they have been left loaded this long?
"Don't leave a load on springs" is the common wisdom for most things (I don't know about torque wrenches exactly). But in the gun world we have found that compressing and decompressing springs does more harm than compressing them and leaving them compressed (guys who load and unload their pistols magazines daily wear them out faster than guys who leave them loaded), so it might not be that big of a deal.

Last edited by brenn; 05-30-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:59 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
"Don't leave a load on springs" is the common wisdom for most things (I don't know about torque wrenches exactly). But in the gun world we have found that compressing and decompressing springs does more harm than compressing them and leaving them compressed (guys who load and unload their pistols magazines daily wear them out faster than guys who leave them loaded), so it might not be that big of a deal.
If metal is not deflected beyond its specific yield strength repeatedly compressing and decompressing does no harm. The question is; was the device designed to operate very close to (or even slightly over) yield strength (which would result in a finite compression/decompression lifespan), or is some other mechanism, such as actual mechanical surface wear involved. As for gun magazines, many of the problems associated with heavy repeated use aren't related to spring damage but rather feed ramp and magazine housing wear.