Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Buffeting

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2010, 05:48 AM
oldncrzy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

helmets are the law around here, just to get that out of the way. Buffeting is a problem because I am over 6 ft tall. To minimize it the ws has to be installed fairly high. I have a small ws and I just adjusted the rake outward to allow the wind to ride at a little higher angle away from my head. More drag I suppose but much more comfortable than no shield or buffeting.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:01 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most high performance full face helmets have "stall" devices molded in or added to the helmet. Usually a little "Gurney tab"-like strip across the top of the helmet, or a V-shape molded in, and a "chin spoiler" do the trick on most applications. Simpson, Bell, Shoei, Arai, Bieffe, and most of the major manufacturers have helmets with these devices. Most were originally developed for open cockpit race cars, but the technology from the bike road racers and the car guys have kind of been exchanged and tweaked to get to the designs they have now.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:33 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FLUltrarider
Most high performance full face helmets have "stall" devices molded in or added to the helmet. Usually a little "Gurney tab"-like strip across the top of the helmet, or a V-shape molded in, and a "chin spoiler" do the trick on most applications. Simpson, Bell, Shoei, Arai, Bieffe, and most of the major manufacturers have helmets with these devices. Most were originally developed for open cockpit race cars, but the technology from the bike road racers and the car guys have kind of been exchanged and tweaked to get to the designs they have now.
My Shoei RF-1000 buffets like the devil with my windshield on so an expensive name-brand helmet does not necessarily solve the problem.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:17 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Remember open cockpit race cars and road racing bikes don't use a windshield! But the stall devices should work even with the winshield as they're designed to seperate the airflow off the helmet's surface, hence the term "stall." Some model helmets made by the companies don't have the features either. You've got to buy the right helmet model to get them, and yes, they are expensive. Especially if you get into the SA rated ones.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:27 AM
Hunter2678
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FLUltrarider

Correct, my old full face helmet was just a round traditional styled helmet with no Ridges/ripples on the top back crown portion...the thing buffeted bad esp in the accelerated slip stream off the faring of my Ducati. Bought a nice high $$ helmet last summer (Suomy) and it has the ridges on the top rear portion of the shell that diffuses the airflow to create lower air pressure (vacum) behind the helmet that holds your head still, translation=buffeting GONE...as long as you use a traditionaly styled smooth helmet in the wind you'll experince the annoying buffeting.

Heres the side view of my helmet so you can see what I'm talking about..

Last edited by Hunter2678; 04-26-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:35 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Taller windshield will stop the buffeting or a wing on your helmet to hold it down on your head.

Last edited by cadman311; 04-26-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:50 AM
fatbob123
Road Captain

Schuberth are amonghst the worlds best