General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sturgis: ride or trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Bogus racing
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sturgis: ride or trailer

I am having a dilemia. I am planning to attend 2010 sturgis, this will be my 3rd trip to sturgis. The first time I rode their and back from TN (tent camping). Last year I trailered from UT. I am now planning for 2010 and I cant make up my mind how I want to get their. I have a Lance truck camper and a 10 foot enclosed motorcycle trailer that I used last year and it made the trip alot more comfortable. The thing is that I really want to ride but I don't want to spend a week in a tent (especally if mother nature isn't happy again) and I don't want to spend $1500.00 or more just in a hotel room. When the hail storm from hell rolled into sturgis last year I was able to put my bike in the enclosed trailer and protect it from dings and such (mobile garrage). The enclosed trailer also allows me to sleep easier at night due to worrying less about bike theives and having a camper to stay in with its own shower and toilet is very nice all for just a little more than the price of a tent site at a campground plus diesil fuel for truck (I dry camp, no utilites needed). Though by trailering I feel like I am complicating the trip to much and defeating the pourpose of a motorcycle rally!? Also my wife is going to fly up after I get their and stay a few days with me then fly back (babysitter issues) and she doesn't want to stay in a tent. This year I plan on attending alot of the concerts at the chip so staying at the chip or a nearby campground will be ideal. The camper and trailer makes alot of sense but I feel that I am missing to much of the adventure and pourpose of a motorcycle rally. What say You?? Can anyone give me their thoughts on this subject? Thanks in advance!!
P.S. I ride a streetglide so I'm all set for for riding distance and carrying gear.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:40 AM
GONZEE
Outstanding HDF Member

anyone can trailer. it is all about the ride, and the storys you pick up along the way.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:41 AM
harleyphoenix
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trailers are for horses.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:43 AM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Brace for it....
I go to Sturgis for the riding experience, not for the concerts or whatever. The Black Hills are one of the most beautiful places to ride on earth, but half the fun is still just getting there on two wheels. It's actually not as much fun nowadays, because there aren't nearly as many bikes on the road on the way to Sturgis and back. Occasional bad weather is just part of the experience, and has actually led to some enjoyable camaraderie with fellow bikers.
As for lodging, since I'm there to ride anyway, I don't mind staying as far out as I have to in order to avoid the prices in Sturgis.
To sum up: As far as I'm concerned, if you think you have to trailer, it's not worth going. (And no, I'm not criticizing all you cripples out there who REALLY have to trailer)

Old 04-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Scooter68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree it is all about the ride. Mine would depend on how much time off I had from work on whether or not I could ride there and back, even though I believe it's all about the ride and the experiences you encounter along the way. I like the idea of having a enclosed trailer with to put the bike away over night, from weather and thiefs, to me that might be the best sounding way to go for you since you already rode there and back once, but that's entirly your choice.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Jabo
Cruiser

It's not about the destination, it's about the journey. Half the fun is the ride there and back. It's all about the memories.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:56 AM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 845 Posts

I've taken 3, 2, and 1 days to get there from here. (850 miles) It's all about the ride for me. If I couldn't ride up there, I wouldn't go at all. It just wouldn't be the same.

That being said, who cares if you want to trailer there. People go there for their own reasons, and if trailering works for you, go for it and ignore the criticism, it's none of their business how you get there.

Just don't act like Billy Badass with "riding stories from the road" if you do trailer.

Crazy

Old 04-25-2010, 12:02 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the trailer and ride when you get there. DUH!

Old 04-25-2010, 12:12 PM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

do what works best for you

Old 04-25-2010, 12:13 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by GONZEE
anyone can trailer. it is all about the ride, and the storys you pick up along the way.
What Gonzee said.

Quick Reply: sturgis: ride or trailer