Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS on my '06 Heritage Classic (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 05:37 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 24,030 Likes on 5,303 Posts
Default GPS on my '06 Heritage Classic (pics)

I'd been thinking about getting a GPS that I could use both in my car and on my bike, and when I saw the Garmin 2720 on Costco.com for $599 I went for it. Thought someone might be interested in how it looks on the bike, and how I mounted it.

Here it is on the bike. I mounted it close to the bike's centerline so I wouldn't have to turn my head to see it.

Here is a closer shot of the mount. I bought the standard Garmin motorcycle mount, which includes the cradle and a power cord that has one bare end, as well as an audio plug if you want to listen to the directions (Radio Shack had the kit on sale for $38; it's usually $50). In addition, I bought the RAM mount you see here from CycleGadgets.com, including the chrome U-bolt sized to fit the Wild1 518 bars (1 1/4"), a chrome arm, and the base plate that screws onto the bottom of the Garmin cradle. All together that was about $90 or so, but would have been a lot cheaper if I hadn't gone for the chrome. The arm is infinitely adjustable.

The cord you see is the audio cord (there's only one; the one on the right is a reflection). I got a simple mono earpiece at Radio Shack which included a little hook to hook it over the ear and the necessary adapter. Cost less than $4. No problem hearing directions at 70 mph with SE II pipes at 80% volume (but I do wear a full face helmet, which helps). In case you're wondering, with the bars at full lock left, there is about 3/4" clearance between the base of the unit and the speedometer bezel.

Here's another shot of the GPS mounted:

For power, I already had a battery tender pigtail on the bike's battery. I simply bought another pigtail at the dealer ($8), and had them solder the plug to the Garmin power cord's bare end. When I have time, I will have the cord shortened. Meanwhile, here's how it works: simple and secure.

Finally, here's how the setup looks when the Garmin's off the bike. The cord ends stow nicely in the mount, and I unplug the SAE plugs. That's it. Works a treat. Now I get as lost as I want to,,,never have to think about where I am. And when it's time to head for home, I just press the "Find" button twice and it talks to me.

Also, notice the red line at the top of the mount? That tells you the clamp isn't securely closed. When you do close it, the line disappears. There's also what Garmin calls a "security screw" in the center of the clamp, which has a special head and for which Garmin supplies a tiny screwdriver that can be placed on a keyring. Theoretically, securing the screw will stymie the casual thief (though not a pro); but it definitely will prevent the mount opening accidentally due to a bump in the road.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Philip

Old 08-10-2006, 05:59 PM
Denier
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GPS on my '06 Heritage Classic (pics)

Good looking work there!! Nice and portable to hook up to your car too.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:38 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a good installation, one of the cleanest i've seen.

I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

Can you use it with gloves, or do you need to remove them to hit the buttons/screen?
Can you read it easily while riding (both to figure out where you are going, and in sunlight)?

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Bluerose

Looks like nice hookup. Tell us how it works out.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:52 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Great job. Boys and their toys

Old 08-10-2006, 06:55 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 24,030 Likes on 5,303 Posts

To answer your questions, Rhubarb:

I can certainly hit the buttons with summer gloves, and think that even winter or rain gloves would not be a problem. As far as using the touchscreen with gloves, so far that has also been no problem, either. I do have small hands, though.

That said, if I were going to do much of anything with the buttons or the screen, I'd pull over. It's way too easy to get distracted by the thing and go right off the road.

The screen on this model is new and improved compared to earlier models, and is very easily readable in almost all light conditions. If you noticed, I mounted the unit almost vertically, rather than tilted up towards me, to give it maximum readability. The only time it seemed somewhat washed out was when the sun was coming from behind, directly over my shoulder. But even then I could read it.

Touratech makes a sun shade for earlier units that will fit these ($14), but I'm sure I won't need it.

Philip

Old 08-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info!

Again, looks great.