General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! H-D financing question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 10:59 AM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Help!! H-D financing question...

I knew I shouldn't a done it. My neighbor -- I'll call him Mr. Rich Smartypants -- snagged a '90 FXR ratbike off of craigslist for five grand. Sucker backfires and shoots flames out of the cylinder head base gasket. It's been down -- the handlebars are tewaked -- but it has been lowered, has custom wheels and is the fastest rototiller I ever rode. It also looks terrific.

Well, that woke up the beast. I was putting off getting another Harley til next spring. By then the Busa is paid off, got the VISA card down to close to zip and I'll be off of work furloughs.

Can't wait that long. That old bike woke up the gotta-have-it monster.

I can pay my bills no problem, and have an extra 300 bucks for another scoot. I can put maybe 1500 bucks down. Bottom line is I don't want to feel like a fool at the store if they say no.

Anyone here have recent experience with H-D financing? The reason I ask is there is an '07 Softail Standard very siilar to my last bike only newer stitting (forever) at the local shop. I love those things -- just plain, black with a journeyman's gray motor and no frills.

Any advice appreciated as I am no longer in the bank robbery business... -L-

Old 04-24-2010, 11:12 AM
flight
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you pay your bills and have even marginal credit they will finance you. That being said the interest rate will correlate directly to you credit score.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:29 AM
bjewell
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks! My score is pretty decent, last I looked

Old 04-24-2010, 11:40 AM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Be prepared to put at least 10% down, but be ready for 20%, Harley credit is fishy at best. From what the salesman told me when I last checked was it seemed the more the buyer payed down on the bike the better the chance for financing and a lot better interest rate.

Old 04-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Seascape
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We didnt put anything down on my wifes springer. They told me 740 and up fica and it can be done,,,, thats straight from the finance guy at our dealer anyway. But... a few years ago when I bought my Heritage at a differant dealer they said 10% is non negotiable............ so who knows the real answer?

From what you are saying it sounds like your good to go. I wouldnt sweat it. I have some buddies w/ extremely poor credit and they got financed.

If you think you can get a bank loan I would go that route HD credit is easy just walk in and ride out on a bike,,,, but they hose you in interest even if your credit is good. You might peel $100 mo off your payement by getting your own loan?

Old 04-24-2010, 12:34 PM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

If your credit score is good and debt to income works out you shouldn't have to put money down. But obvisiously the more you put down the better. I would at least check with a local credit union if you belong to one to compare.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:57 PM
MikeDCop
Tourer

Check with your local credit union. If you have a good relationship with them, you may be able to stretch your payment out long enough to get your payment down.

Plus, if you are a credit union member, you get the interest back in the form of dividend in the long run.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:16 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

easier to get financed on a new one than a used one

Old 04-24-2010, 09:03 PM
joeb116
5th Gear

I just bought my Ultra (2005) with Harley Finance. The dealer submitted my application to a couple of places and when I bought I had three different options of where I wanted to finance. Harley Finance (Eaglemark Savings Bank) offered the best, so that is who I went with. They did require 10% down, but I had planned for that and already had the cash tucked away at home...

Old 04-26-2010, 02:45 PM
rfwaters
Advanced

Definitely check all your options, i have a good credit score (750) for only being 25, i had HD run my finances and they came back with something like 8%, my credited union is fixed at 10% without even looking at my credit, i started checking banks around town and ended up going through eastmen bank at 6%. There are alot of options out there. Have fun ride safe!

Quick Reply: Help!! H-D financing question...