General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motorkote any opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010 | 06:19 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by Foodog
File it under "things I wish I hadn't spent my money on". Also, ever watch the winner at the end of a NASCAR race do burnouts and a couple of victory laps? Guarantee you they ain't gonna do that with no oil in the pan.
Yes I called BS on that post as I read it. Thousands of dollars spent on an engine so the driver can dump the oil only to go faster? The stuff you read on the net is funny sometimes.

Old 06-10-2010 | 09:05 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

It is amazing how much bad info is out on the 'net looking like it was verified by a PhD from MIT! Physics are physics and some additive isn't going to change them. It's probably just reducing the viscosity of the oil so it's a lighter weight. Lighter weight = less drag. That's why all these new high-mileage motors are running "0 weight" synthetic oils. Also equals less wear protection, especially on high-pressure parts like bearings and such. Just change your oil regularly with a clean filter and your engine will last longer and perform better longer. I can guarantee you a NASCAR motor is never run w/o oil. Even in qualifying trim they may run a lighter oil than for the race, but it's still got a full volume of oil in it. If any racer "drops" his oil the only result is a long yellow flag and a lot of oil-dry is laid down to clean it up off the track.

Old 06-10-2010 | 09:13 AM
wolfman 66
Road Captain

NASCAR runs a dry sump so no oil drag.

Old 06-10-2010 | 09:43 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

There's still oil drag wolfman, admittedly not as much as a wet sump where the crank is splashing through it all the time, but the oil is coating the moving parts. There's always an amount of drag/efficiency loss associated with lubricants in the engine due to shear forces, tolerances, and other fluid dynamics issues going on in there. They are significantly more efficient than your standard production engine granted, but they are still a factor that if they could they would eliminate.

Old 06-10-2010 | 03:48 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

After searching for stuff on this "stuff' I could find no independent testing performed by anyone. Doesn't mean it hasn't been tested, but I found none.

What I did find was, shall we say, "interesting."

Years ago it seemed to have contained PTFE, aka Teflon, according to some. Solids such as PTFE have no place in an engine. Now, the manufacturer says it has no PTFE.

Years ago the MSDS showed it contained various types of "dino" oils, and some of the ones listed looked like they were selected for their cheapness (cost-wise) rather than for their quality. Now the manufacturer says it's all synthetic.

The "magic ingredient" isn't listed on the MSDS as it is considered a trade secret. Wonder what it is?

Years ago it was said that the stuff was "buffered" to prevent corrosion, making me think it had some chlorinated product of some sort in it. If it did/does, guess what happens when the "buffering" is no longer effective? Corrosion by the chlorine! Now it is said it contains no chlorinated products.

The cost of this stuff is so high that you could change oil every 400-500 miles and probably get better results.

Finally, if this stuff, as well as other so-called super additives, was so great I can just about guarantee you that a major oil company would snap it up as an additive in their top-of-the-line oil.

Show me an independent scientifically based and controlled test. Otherwise, my take is ... snake oil.

Old 06-10-2010 | 04:56 PM
Fat Henry
Road Warrior

Your post stated you ordered the stuff. Sounds like you had made up your mind before you asked for any opinions. Let us know how it works.

Old 04-12-2013 | 07:41 PM
00WideGlide
Stage I

I have started using Motorkote, It works as advertized..