General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do after the repo man

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 06:47 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

You might look at www.barnetthd.com! A big harley-Davidson dealership in El Paso Tx. Those guys do some pretty LONG deals.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:57 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default lesson

Originally Posted by lmarkie
Well......I'm finally divorced. I'm getting caught up on some past due bills and feeling great. Bad thing is my credit is trashed.
Learned my lesson. Never, never, never, trust someone to pay your bills. Especially your Harley.

...does anyone know where I can get financed for a motorcycle with bad credit...
Isn't there another lesson here? Why not go easy on getting back into debt until your financial situation is turned around?

Old 06-10-2010, 06:59 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well.......took all of your advice and kicked her to the curb. I'm finally divorced. I'm getting caught up on some past due bills and feeling great. Bad thing is my credit is trashed.

Learned my lesson. Never, never, never, trust someone to pay your bills. Especially your Harley.

Only problem is that it really kills me to see a motorcycle on the road and know that I don't have mine anymore. Seems like I now see one at every turn and every corner. Sure do miss her.......the bike, not the wife. LOL

Thank you everyone for your advice and support. Great bunch of people.

One more thing...does anyone know where I can get financed for a motorcycle with bad credit. I'm not looking for a new bike, just an older, lower cost Harley.
Sounds like your spirits are back up and you learned some serious life lessons. Most of us have been there.

If you have a good steady job you have a shot. A $2k or more down payment would help and something for collateral. Lending is the tightest it has been since the last depression. Freakin' banks are hoarding the money after, we the people, bailed them out.

If you can't get any financing through a dealership right now - try again in the Fall or mid Winter. They will be much more motivated to secure some financing then to make a sale.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well.......took all of your advice and kicked her to the curb. I'm finally divorced. I'm getting caught up on some past due bills and feeling great. Bad thing is my credit is trashed.

Only problem is that it really kills me to see a motorcycle on the road and know that I don't have mine anymore. Seems like I now see one at every turn and every corner. Sure do miss her.......the bike, not the wife. LOL

Thank you everyone for your advice and support. Great bunch of people.

One more thing...does anyone know where I can get financed for a motorcycle with bad credit. I'm not looking for a new bike, just an older, lower cost Harley.
Glad to hear you are back up and running, too. One option, takes a LOT of leg work. BUT in this economy, there are peeps out there, who NEED to sell, to keep their roof. There are some who will actually finance it for you, cause they can't sell right now for what they're asking. Like I said, it takes some leg work, but WTF, a guys gotta do, what ya gotta do. They get roof payments, you get a ride. Just make sure it is clear on paper, what is going on.
Again, just a suggestion.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Ratster
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dump the bitch. Talk to the finance company. Did I mention dumping the bitch?

Old 06-10-2010, 07:36 PM
mhern08
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Call the lender first thing. Tell them you can pay up tonight (you stated you had the money). Work out the details. You'll need a release from your creditor to get the tow company to give you your bike. After that either pack yer **** and ride off into the sunset. Its hard but dont be a wuss. She showed you what shes all about. As I see it that relationship is done!

Old 06-10-2010, 07:53 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lo-rider
Isn't there another lesson here? Why not go easy on getting back into debt until your financial situation is turned around?
Here we go with the "net nannies" agian. IDK, maybe it's Dave Ramsey on the other end. The dude fell on some hard times, let's kick him while he's down by preaching the virtues of financial solvency. He said he learned his lesson. He said he has made progress on his past due bills. He said he has crunched the numbers and can now swing a bike payment. He said he REALLY wants a bike (more so than a new OL I'm sure). It is not my place to tell him he can't get one. And unless you're the loan officer at one of the credit institutions where he is going to try and secure financing, neither are you!

Old 06-10-2010, 07:57 PM
kccustom
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope we all learned to keep the bike hidden from the repo man if you aint gonna pay!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:23 PM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HD does send out letters. One of my payments got lost in the mail. I got a letter saying I was past due. The wife and I were wondering because the check never cleared the bank. I did the pay by phone which costs an extra 12 bucks. It really bothered me because I was always on time and actually paid more then I was supposed to.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:55 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default opinion

Originally Posted by dirtracin23
Here we go with the "net nannies" agian. IDK, maybe it's Dave Ramsey on the other end. The dude fell on some hard times, let's kick him while he's down by preaching the virtues of financial solvency. He said he learned his lesson. He said he has made progress on his past due bills. He said he has crunched the numbers and can now swing a bike payment. He said he REALLY wants a bike (more so than a new OL I'm sure). It is not my place to tell him he can't get one. And unless you're the loan officer at one of the credit institutions where he is going to try and secure financing, neither are you!
Sheesh, what a grouch! Kicking somebody? Telling someone they can't? Get real.

The OP has just had a Harley repo'd, has past-due bills to pay right now, and would be deemed a considerable credit risk by any legitimate lender. He understands that my post was offered to help him, and that my opinion is just that.

Quick Reply: What to do after the repo man