General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paying with cash...what should I say NO to?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:02 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If i was spending that much at my local dealer and buying a new bike then i would get 20% off all the extra's and for the first month or more and i would get a $500 gift card from them.

That is what my dad got on his and were still getting the 20% a year later. just saying if i was throwing down that kind of money on a bike and extra's they can sure do 20% and probably throw in something free like a jacket or helmet ect or id be going to another dealer thats my thoughts.

The bike is bad enough but if your going to hand them another $9,000 in parts and extra's they better be willing to work with you.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Chicago Bob
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 2 Posts

Never indicate up front if your paying cash or financing! Make the deal, THEN tell them how you're going to pay. And never talk trade-in until the deal is final.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by krusty1
They could really care less that you're paying with cash. In fact, if your credit score was high enough to nowadays qualify for their financing they'd actually have much more incentive to really deal (because they'd be screwing you at that end). Cash just isn't much of an incentive, and has identical pull with the dealer to financing with your own credit union or bank...either way, they're seeing cash at transaction. Cash ain't king at a MOCO dealership, for sure.
Plus one cash doen't mean anything. But try treating the salesperson with respect and connect as a person then business. You will not be the biker coming into the dealership with a wad. Most act like that is the first time a dealership has seen cash. But you could very well be the first one that they would want to deal with.

Originally Posted by 1plumr1
I would finance it and get all the incentives you can. Get the 45 day float until first payment, then pay it off. Eaglemark Savings (HD financing) doesn't have early payoff penalty.
Very good idea.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get 20% off minimum on the accessories. Have you shopped your deal around? As in bottomline OTD with all extras, etc? Who's installing the extras? BTW, H-D corporate isn't offering anything worthwhile, other than some extra trade cash for a non H-D bike.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:00 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

These guys are right.I was trying to buy a used car for my daughter and thought that dangling a cash sale would mean a better price WRONG.I was told they make their money financing.Cut a good deal with a seller made sure I could pay off any time with no penility ,bought it then payed it off the next month.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:07 PM
Xenomorph
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by toastman
been there but the only thing i bought was lunch.

#1 in sales can be misleading. they have the largest stock of bikes and are pretty much a landmark around this area...selling the most could simply mean they have the most to sell, not that they're willing to deal.

again, never bought anything but a burger there.
LOL!!! I've also only ever bought food there!!!

Mike's Famous really don't budge on numbers... They had me walk because they wouldn't move the price of an 09' XL1200N another $300.00. So I went to barb's HD in Collingswood and bought that exact same model at the price I needed it with ZERO problems.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:01 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,852 Likes on 1,087 Posts

Everytime The dealer says "What about or How about" or tries to add anything that you don't specify.Say NO. Period. It's your cash. Period

Old 04-24-2010, 02:15 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by phat96
Krusty's right, get the credit and the add ons, they think we just made all this extra cash on the interest, so they will throw in more. Just ask for it, all they can say is no? then when you get your first bill pay it off in full and enjoy the moment.

Find out who here has dealt with any of the dealers there in your area to see who will deal and spend your money there. Sounds like your in for a really fun day.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:25 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,394 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Never tell them your paying cash. They make money on finance often more than on the bike. So you will make your best deal allowing them to think they will finance it then when paper work is done have them remove the finance and hand over the money.
Second why do all the mods day? If you buy your ride, change what must be changed so it fits you and do the rest over time you are always renewing the ride and intrest in it.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:42 AM
scarygt
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Never tell them your paying cash. They make money on finance often more than on the bike. So you will make your best deal allowing them to think they will finance it then when paper work is done have them remove the finance and hand over the money.
Second why do all the mods day? If you buy your ride, change what must be changed so it fits you and do the rest over time you are always renewing the ride and intrest in it.
I agree with most of what you said, but not on the mods thing. My last bike (FLHRCI) I finally finished the bike had it exactly the way I wanted it and then I fell in love with my new Limited. So I waited and did things slowly, but then sold it and didn't really get to enjoy what I did to it. This time around I dumped almost 6K up front on extras. This way I enjoy all my bells and whistles for the life of this bike. But to each thier own.

Scary

Quick Reply: Paying with cash...what should I say NO to?