General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox Creek leather smells awful

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:46 AM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Fox Creek leather smells awful

Received my custom Fox Creek leather jacket yesterday via UPS. It is the Classic II with no epaulets and longer arms. Looks killer. The problem is that it smells awful. The first jacket that Fox Creek sent me to try on smelled great (like quality leather) and was in excellent shape, but this one smells like someone wore the jacket while smoked a carton of cigarettes while laying in an ashtray. Plus the bottom has many frayed and loose threads, there is a small cut on the underside of the collar and a spot where the dye didn't take that looks like someone spilled bleach on it. Needless to say I am not too happy, especially since I dropped $500 on this jacket.

I called Fox Creek and was told "I really don't know what to tell you.... you could always put it on the porch" (for the smell). So I stuck the coat outside for the remainder of the day (about 6 hours) and then in my empty basement overnight and no change. Oiled it up (per their direction) and although that did seem to mask it some, the funk smell is still there. I tried wearing it around the house and I can stomach about 10 minutes until my stomach feels sick, also makes my underneath shirt smell.

Needless to say the jacket is going back today. Called customer service and they said "no returns or exchanges due to custom order" (sizing). Looks like I will be talking with the owner later today. I know that many people have had great experiences with FC so I am truly surprised at the lack on quality control regarding this jacket. Hopefully FC will stepped up and issue me a refund or make me a new jacket.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:50 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I think I know what happened to it.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPXVGQnJm0w

Old 04-23-2010, 07:52 AM
hotrod351
Road Warrior

thats nothing, did you ever meet any of the people that work at foxcreek, if so then youd know why there leather smells. i bought all my leathers, jacket, vest, chaps and gloves, from antelope creek leather, great product, thick. i have all of it for over 4 years now and no problems yet.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:58 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
Received my custom Fox Creek leather jacket but this one smells like someone wore the jacket while smoked a carton of cigarettes while laying in an ashtray. Plus the bottom has many frayed and loose threads, there is a small cut on the underside of the collar and a spot where the dye didn't take that looks like someone spilled bleach on it.
Sounds like they sent you a used jacket!

What do the arm pits smell like?

Old 04-23-2010, 07:59 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

BWAHAHAHA!

I just bought a leather jacket from leatherup and it's excellent. Paid $100. Yeah, it's made in pakistan but that's better than china (I guess).

Old 04-23-2010, 08:02 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
BWAHAHAHA!

Yeah, it's made in pakistan but that's better than china (I guess).
Now there is a debate...just waiting to happen.....

Old 04-23-2010, 08:03 AM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior

It was a custom order (I needed the arms longer, and had no epaulets put on), so I don't think that it could of been used. Not sure if it was the manufacturer or the retail shop, but somehow this jacket ended up smelling like death. My wife has a cold and even she was was like, "gross... that's awful."

Old 04-23-2010, 08:05 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
BWAHAHAHA!
Yeah, it's made in pakistan but that's better than china (I guess).
I paid $300 something for my jacket which is also made there.Bought it in 2003 and is still in excellent shape.
Bought it from a well known leather store in San Jose.The liner has been replaced since then,no questions asked.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:10 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you can't say anything negative about the mighty foxcreek... from your description it does seem like a used jacket. not sure how it could develop a long term smoker smell being brand new.

this is going to get interesting.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:11 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good luck finding a fair resolution.

Quick Reply: Fox Creek leather smells awful