General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fox Creek leather smells awful

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:32 AM
mountiangofer
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought all my leathers from Fox creek and would'nt even think of going anywhere else. Good service, mine all smelled good. I got 2 of their jackets, chaps, vest, gloves and even a wallet.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:38 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gtrplyr
Received my custom Fox Creek leather jacket yesterday via UPS. It is the Classic II with no epaulets and longer arms. Looks killer. The problem is that it smells awful. The first jacket that Fox Creek sent me to try on smelled great (like quality leather) and was in excellent shape, but this one smells like someone wore the jacket while smoked a carton of cigarettes while laying in an ashtray. Plus the bottom has many frayed and loose threads, there is a small cut on the underside of the collar and a spot where the dye didn't take that looks like someone spilled bleach on it. Needless to say I am not too happy, especially since I dropped $500 on this jacket.
For that price, you could have gotten a lot better than Fox Creek leather.

I did just buy another leather jacket for my collection (not really a collector, I just like leather jackets) on Ebay for $20 (I have found several at that price, U.S. and English made). It was pretty unique - black leather made just like a Levi jean jacket. It also smelled like it had been owned by a smoker, but I'm not going to pay $60-80 to have a $20 jacket cleaned. I read up a little online and, realizing that I have had my leather jackets soaking wet while wearing them and that water is one of the tools used in working leather - I washed it in the bathtup with dish soap. I may wipe it down with some leather conditioner when it dries, but I expect the smell to be gone.

I've been buying used leather jackets since I was a young punk rocker in the 80's - the highest price I've ever paid was for a brand new with tags Schott perfecto from a dealer, which was $250, but I have bought many others, including 4 Schotts for me and my wife for under $100. I just got a $20 excelled that is nearly like new - I may rip out the liner and make a summer riding jacket.

Note: this may not appeal to the kind of people who ride around on new ultra classics (or Goldwings) wearing polo shirts and have their oil changed by a Harley dealer.

Last edited by brenn; 04-23-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:39 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cadman311
Maybe it was from there in Pakistan and ship here relabel again
Yep, and then jacked the price up 500%.
Kinda like what Harley does with the chinese stuff.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:46 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$500 is more than Paid FXRG Harley Jacket and it's a riding jacket.

Last edited by cadman311; 04-23-2010 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:58 AM
TheFrogCrusher
Intermediate

I've had a similar experience with a new leather jacket (not Fox Creek but another maker of high-quality American-made stuff). I'm not sure why but it smelled like it had been stored with the dead cow carcass for a week in the summer.

I tied a laundry bag full of natural charcoal and hung it inside the jacket. hung up the jacket inside of a plastic laundry bag and tied off the bottom. Left it hanging in the closet for a week and it came out great. Absolutely no stinky smell afterward.

You might be able to use Arm and hammer similarly I'd suppose.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:02 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

the cow was a smoker.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Romark
Road Master

Leather from an old cow?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:57 AM
porker
Cruiser

Check the inside of the jacket for flesh still attached to the skin.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:59 AM
GeorgiaGirl
Madame Moderator
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting. My husband has a jacket from them and I have unlined chaps. Great products both with no weird smells. Hope they make it right for you.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:12 AM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
I paid $300 something for my jacket which is also made there.Bought it in 2003 and is still in excellent shape.
Bought it from a well known leather store in San Jose.The liner has been replaced since then,no questions asked.
Yeah. My $300 Wilson's Leather coat was made in Pakistan. It's lasted me 12 years so far and is still going strong.... Which means that it will fall apart because I typed this.

My only beef with it is that the Thinsulate liner that zips out is falling apart. I am going to have to go get a new one.

Quick Reply: Fox Creek leather smells awful