General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outer Banks Bike Week, Lies and Damn Lies

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 09:01 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
This is a review the Outer Banks (OBX) Bike Weekend.
Yes, I know they call it bike week, but it turns out they exaggerate a bit.
Bummer dude.....
OBX "bike week" is really more of an "open house" at several dealerships, than a "bike week" with vendors in one central location, with good deals for all.

Then you add to it, the fact that this seems to be a shake-down for the various local business. Still at least they are happy to see you (and take your money)

Vertigo used to be "free" then last year they decided to start charging you $10 to dring free (crappy) beer.

It's a decent day trip (back and forth) from Raleigh.... but I'm not a "bike fest" sorta guy anyway....

Old 04-23-2010, 10:48 PM
BugBYter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by skootchnc

It's a decent day trip (back and forth) from Raleigh.... but I'm not a "bike fest" sorta guy anyway....
Exactly. My wife and I do day runs to OBX too. 500 mile round trip to US64/SH12. Makes a good 600 mile day.

Do you take 264 or 64? I've run both. 264 is a bit longer/slower but better scenery and a little curvier. I avoid 264 west of Belhaven after dark. WAY too many critters out there.

Also watch your speed on that long flat straight stretch of 2 lane 64. Manteo needs the money to pay for their new courthouse..

Old 04-24-2010, 12:11 AM
rustyruss
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Obx

I went to bike week there last year and had a great time, but I rode with friends and we pertty much did what we wanted to do. Just liked having all the bikes around as we did our own thing.I live about 250 miles from the outer banks in Virginia. I like to go often its a nice ride and the area is great.One of my holes at the outer banks is Beach Road Bar and Grill.

Attached Thumbnails Outer Banks Bike Week, Lies and Damn Lies-dsc01574.jpg  
Old 04-25-2010, 02:25 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Well 7 of us ended up riding down there today and luckily we only caught some sprinkles. I've been to it 4 times and this by far was the worst turnout (which was actually good in a way as we could find parking spaces easily). There may have been a few more vendors out. Didn't even attempt to go down to Vertigo. We just visited the vendors hit Long Boards for lunch then hauled more *** than Oprah to Krispy Kreme.

Good ride, crappy bike rally. That was probably my last time going to Outer Banks Bike Week but it definately won't be the last time I ride down there.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:51 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BugBYter
Exactly. My wife and I do day runs to OBX too. 500 mile round trip to US64/SH12. Makes a good 600 mile day.

Do you take 264 or 64? I've run both. 264 is a bit longer/slower but better scenery and a little curvier. I avoid 264 west of Belhaven after dark. WAY too many critters out there.

Also watch your speed on that long flat straight stretch of 2 lane 64. Manteo needs the money to pay for their new courthouse..
I just got back from VA last night, and man was that an understatement! I think I witnessed more troopers chasing down speeders on 64, between Newport News and Richmond, than during the entire ride from South Florida up 95. I used to live in Hampton/Newport News area. Glad I moved...

Old 04-25-2010, 05:53 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by BugBYter

US-64 to Willianston, pick up US-17/13 follow US-17 to US-158 to Kitty Hawk (we ain't in no hurry) then US-64 straight home to Raleigh

"only" 430 miles, but I-540 cuts off a lot of time

Old 04-25-2010, 05:58 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by CroK
I witnessed more troopers chasing down speeders on 64, between Newport News and Richmond, than during the entire ride from South Florida up 95. I used to live in Hampton/Newport News area. Glad I moved...
Actually, he was refering to US-64 which runs west(ish), from the coast, all the way to the Tennessee state line, (and beyond). While you're talking about I-64 which runs west(ish) from VA beach, to I-85. Different roads... but both are revenue positive .... for the local courts.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:50 AM
JR-Boston
Tourer
Default A Real Bike Week

These newfangled copy cat bike weeks just don't have enough momentum to succeed in this economy.

Get yerself up to ye olde Laconia in June!

JR
More of the above: http://www.weirsbeach.com/Largejpgs/...idecovers.html

Last edited by JR-Boston; 04-25-2010 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:22 AM
fmudge
Cruiser

Yes, I would agree that it is really a long weekend. I have always viewed this event as an excuse to go to the beach for a few days with the wife and also have some bike events going on. The sad part was that the weather turned crappy for the weekend. On a positive note we went to Nags Head HD on Friday and rode the demo bikes. I was very surprised to find several Screaming Eagles available as demos including an Ultra, Softtail Convertible and Fat Bob. I also was able to checkout the new Ultra Limited with the 103 and was shocked that I liked it a little more than the SE. I was able to ride every bike that I have been considering and some others that surprised me in how much I liked them (e.g. Street Glide).

If you're looking for the wild parties and the "see and be seen" crowds OBX is certainly not the place to go. But if you want to go somewhere that is incredibly welcoming and has some decent scenery and riding, OBX Bike Week(end) is a good long weekend getaway. Just my two cents, as always your mileage will vary.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:02 AM
glasspilot
Road Master
Received 271 Likes on 155 Posts

I'm posting this too late but Lucky 12 bar (Nags Head) was the place to be Fri and Sat. The Ted Riser band had the place rocking in the evening. The parking lot overflowing with bikes.

Quick Reply: Outer Banks Bike Week, Lies and Damn Lies