General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outer Banks Bike Week, Lies and Damn Lies

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:46 AM
Capecodgirl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After doing the Frogs for Freedom Run (Navy Seal) at Poppa Pub in VB.
I no longer want to do Poker Runs. I'm wondering why I am paying people to do what I like to do (RIDE) to places I would go (BARS) anyway?

You don't see them doing this for CAGERS? seriously?

Actually, to be very honest, unless it's for a VERY GOOD CAUSE, I won't do them anymore. That's just my decision!

I'm heading to OBX in about an hour. First stop is Barry's Walnut Island! Great place for food and drink and the crew are always the best.
OBX today will probably be the last day to go before the weather takes a turn for the worst . Forecast doesn't look so great!

I go to OBX to meet friends that live in the area , and doing the ride is alway a bonus if not the best!
Rock and Ride on everyone and enjoy your life doing whatever it is that makes you the happiest!
Peace and RESPECT to all!
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 04-23-2010, 09:53 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yea my wife was just asking the other day why people pay to go on poker runs. I told her it was for charity but now that everyone in Hampton Roads has found out that you can get money that way it seems everyone has jumped on the bandwagon offering rides you pay for.
I did the Frogs for Freedom run at Poppas, last year I think it was, and it was pretty fun but yea I'm pretty much over those things myself.
Have fun down there in OBX Capecodgirl. We are supposed to be going in the morning but if it's raining very hard I think I'll just say screw it and ride around locally.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:00 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell your wife about:

http://www.bikerornot.com

There no cost to ride and most every week in your area people have rides somewhere around where you live.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:30 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My wife doesn't ride though, she just heard some poker run advertised on the radio and asked me why it cost to ride in it.

We have a group on www.meetup.com that is similar to that site I guess. It just has all different hobbies besides motorcycling. We have over 90 people that joined our group but less than 20 have ever ridden with us.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:00 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Leesburg has done quite well as a "newer" bike fest destination. It's a much more "laid-back" kind of festival versus Daytona and elsewhere. I think the reason a lot of vendors made the trek down here this year is because Gator HD made their event an extra day long so it's a four-day deal versus only three. It's also about the best riding in the state of Florida. What few hills and twisties we have are in the local area. Its central location puts it inb range of a lot of riders too.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:01 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My freinds that live down there tell me they like Leesburg much better.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:23 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
So you planned on spending the whole week shopping? At any event I've been to I don't spend more than an hour or two at venders and most of that is because my wife likes to shop. Every once in a while I'll see something new or different.
Should have spent the week riding around, checking out the area, sounds like it wasn't crowded either. Sorry I missed it.
Always look before you leap....
I have 896 miles since we pulled in. We still have 1 more short ride tonight before we pack up. So over 900 miles in 6 days.
Sorry, I guess we never even considered that we ought to ride some new roads... Just shopping and sitting in bars that's us...

Like I said, when I get a chance I will discuss the rides and add pics.

By the way, everyone I talk to down here about it agrees that it is currently just a bike weekend... Some say it is growing pains... could be... still not what was advertised...

Time for dinner...

Old 04-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I went 2 years ago, and it was nothing special. Haven't been back since- too may stupid cagers out & about and the venues were weak. Only thing I really enjoyed doing was was checking out all the other bikes.
I'm only an hour away, so I go over there quite a bit throughout the year. Definitely better riding when "bike week" isn't on...

Old 04-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

Since my hubby had a bad spill last week by almost running into a cable that some nit wit put up at a bike run last weekend, we didn't make our plans to go to OBX. Glad we didn't spend the $$$$.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:23 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,101 Likes on 3,649 Posts

3 friends went last Monday and said it was pretty dead...i was gonna go Tomorrow but i'm not wasting a day to go that far to see water.

Quick Reply: Outer Banks Bike Week, Lies and Damn Lies