General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to not do

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:40 AM
stubby
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to not do

I'll make this short and sweet. After discussion with the old lady, who dosen't ride, she is disabled, last night we went to look at the new road king. Now I was supposed to go earlier that day, but when I took the dyna we climbed a mountain and never got to the shop. I have always riden Sportys or glides and my bike now has become part of me. Well we went to the shop by cage with the old lady, actually my lovely wife, and I sat on a new road king. It had everything, windshield, enough bag room for a Europeon vacation, and as the sales person kept saying, air suspension. I guess he was looking at my old out of shape body figuring I could use some air shocks. The thing is I know the road king will not be as nimble as the glide. The engine and pipes on the dyna are nicely broken in and even at sixty years I don't believe I would like a windshield.
Am I just being old and stuck in the same groove or am I riding a fine bike and should stay with it ?

Old 08-10-2006, 10:45 AM
dgator66
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What to not do

If you like the dyna, stick with it. I could see trading for the extra comfort if your wife rode, but if she doesn't then no big deal. Sounds like you have a good relationship with the glide, so you could just always spend the money that you would save updating your bike.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Have you riiden much with a windshield? Even if you ride with it off most days, it will really help with fatigue when touring. It's easily removeable and gives the bike a different look with it off. With the windshield being standard equipment on the RK, it's not like you have to buy an accessory you may not like. But the final decision is up to you, ride what makes you happy.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:53 AM
sully
Advanced

Shoot, man; we can't answer that question for you. Life is short, follow your instincts.

Me, I ride w/out a windshield for short hops, but for a long trip or all day in the saddle a windshield sure makes a difference.

The Bagger allows for carrying more stuff--- sometimes that's good, sometimes that's bad....

Buy the RK, keep the 'glide. Make your life more complicated by having to decide which to ride!!!

My wife said "the Low Rider's uncomfortable on long rides, you should buy a touring bike". Now I have one of each....

Old 08-10-2006, 11:01 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It really is up to you. Windshields are different, but can ease the long rides. But if you do not want another bike, don't get it.

...but methinks you want another ride.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Bluerose

If you like your bike keep it. No need to change what ain't broke.

Did you demo a Road King? Might do that if you are seriously thinking of a change up.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:22 PM
stubby
Road Captain

No. There were none available last night. I asked. Rode one for a few hundred feet last March. It was the custom with the beach handle bars. Did not like the handle bars. Have a buddy with a 2006 rk. Haven't discussed this with him. I already know his answer. But, I watched him when he has ridden in front of me and the RK does eat up the road and handles nicely in turns. Still undecided.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Give it up, Stubby, yer 60 years old ain't it about time to be lookin' at GeezerGlides?

Old 08-10-2006, 04:26 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess the best thing is to really take a hard look at what type of riding you intend on doing. If you plan to spend more time travelling (putting on big miles), going with the windshield and bags etc. is really nice to have. If you plan on doing pretty much what you have been comfortable doing already, then spending the extra money might not be cost effective.

My hubby was sooooo attached to his Heritage but it was getting up there in mileage. He has never had so much as a hic-ip from it. He was torn between deciding on keeping it and maybe doing some work on it to tune it up some to keep it in tip top shape OR trading it in on a Street Glide (which has even more travelling long distance type comfort). Well, after serious deliberation he decided to go with the Street Glide. Hasn't got it yet, delivery won't be for another couple of weeks yet. But... now that he has made that final decision, he thinks I should trade my Fat Boy in on one too. I love my bike. I have had absolutely no problems with her at all, either. I would have a hard time parting with her, very much the same as he did with his. What to do....What to do???? That's definately not an easy decision to be made. I wish we could afford to have 'em all! Now, that would fix this dilema.

Old 08-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Hdbiker1450
Road Warrior

Stubby, we went from a WG to the RK, Loved the WG, but needed more room for gear when touring. Michelle was real iffy about the whole deal, but I was tired of looking like a migrant worker. And then there was the safety issue of having so much weight behind the rear tire. Long story short, we love the RK. Maybe a slight loss of handling, but minimal at best. Go with your gut, but the RK sure wouldn't be a bad choice!

Quick Reply: What to not do