General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Worst Potholes

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Soft06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They suck, they suck and I hate em! Did I mention they suck?

Old 04-22-2010, 02:42 PM
shopewell
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Around here the plow trucks have a tendancy to tear giant patches out of the asphalt over the mountain passes - that always makes things fun. And then they spend all summer shutting lanes trying to fix them which usually triples my commute. I always leave plenty of space in front of me so I don't kill my ride.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:43 PM
FLHXterp
Tourer

Originally Posted by lizdc
Guy on BON just had a pot hole cause 2k in damage to his bike. But today he posted that the one he hit was caused by DOT and they are paying for the repairs. After our winter there are ones in DC that could swallow my car so I am very careful.

Liz
Originally Posted by Hollywood Ball
Seriously man. I trashed a front rim a few weeks ago on I-95 south bound going over the Patapsco River Bridge right before the 895 overpass. Came off the bridge and a sheet of pavement was missing that took up pretty much the entire lane. Going 85 mph and there was no way to avoid it. Rode on it for a few weeks before I even noticed it. It was bent up pretty good. I have no clue how it didn't affect the ride.

Forum member hooked me up with a mint SoCal take-off for $100 shipped...unfortunately its not even cost effective to try and repair the bent wheel. It's trash.
Sounds par for the course. I destroyed my front tire last year heading back from Solomons (Tiki Bar of course); thankfully rim was good to go.

At least you got a smokin' deal on the SoCal.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:49 PM
pjmoraldo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not really an issue here! As a matter of fact thats about the only place were spending money is on the streets! I think its from that stimuli money!

Old 04-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Chicago and the surrounding areas have some nasty potholes in the spring. You pretty much have to weave like a drunk to miss them. The state is good about patching them, but it takes a while.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:01 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I live in Duluth MN, which has been said has the most pot holes, per capita, in the country. And, of course, the city is pretty much broke. The worst pothole I ever hit was when I ws living in San Francisco. Thank God I wasn't on my bike. I was driving my Jeep down Geary Blvd, didn't see the pot hole because of rain, but all of a sudden the cab was filled with this loud "TWANGGGG". It broke a motor mount and the engine moved forward, pushing the fan into the radiator. Not a cheap fix.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:23 PM
MikeDCop
Tourer

A lady got killed due to a chunk of concrete exiting a pothole in Alabama on I-20 in the Talladega National Forrest. The state's response was to drop the speed limit from 70MPH to 55MPH between Oxford and the Georgia state line and put a ton of extra Troopers out to strictly enforce the new lower speed limit.

What's great is when you see them repaving a stretch of blacktop and they stop 5' from a pothole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjMUfIKktWU

Old 04-22-2010, 09:28 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

...... Colorado in general has a hard time w/ Potholes, Colorado Springs is having a particularly hard time
....... it's to where you gotta pay attention at every intersection for holes that'll seriously throw you off yer line.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:38 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I forget who it was here that posted about marking a pot hole on their ride route with some upside down (road) paint, but after our bad rains and floods I carried a can around and marked several of the holes that I found, I guess it really got under the road crews skin cause they fixed everyone that I marked, but left some close to them that were not marked.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:17 PM
ropin4gold
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rode from TN to VA Beach about 2 weeks ago. On I-64 between Norfolk and VA Beach I did the duke's of hazzard several times on potholes. No damage to the bike (thankfully).

Quick Reply: The Worst Potholes