General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sealing Gas Tank Leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 01:46 PM
pjmoraldo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Sealing Gas Tank Leaks?

So heres my pickle: Before I had my bike painted my gas tank didn't have a rear bracket to bolt the back down. So I had my painter weld 1 on. Its worked fine for years but now its started leaking out of a small spot on the end of 1 of the welds. The tank is aluminum and nobody wants to try and weld it cuz its so close from the underside to the painted surface! So my ? is has anyone tried those epoxy sealers that you pour in your tank that form a liner inside? Seems like about my only option left!?

Old 04-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Look at Por15 tank sealer....I used it years ago and worked fine and still is.

Jerry

Old 04-21-2010, 03:28 PM
meepers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

may also want to check your local big rig service/parts center. They have aluminum tanks on those trucks and I know they usually carry tank sealer.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:09 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry1834
Look at Por15 tank sealer....I used it years ago and worked fine and still is.

Jerry
POR15 is probably the best tank sealer on the market.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:36 PM
dennis_kirk
Platinum Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we carry kreem here at Dennis Kirk that work's great. The part number for that is 31-52. let me know if i can help out.

Unmatched benefits of shopping with Dennis Kirk:
150,000 Parts Online - Same Day Shipping - Lowest Price Guarantee - Free Shipping on Orders Over $100
www.denniskirk.com
Enter our Sweepstakes! Join our FaceBook fan page for details on how you can get your hands on a customized Road Star for FREE. Click here.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:30 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Head to your local hardware store, they should have J-B Weld or another brand of epoxy that is made to patch holes in gas tanks. Several years ago I found some clear glue called something like "seals all". Wish i could remember the name of it or find it again. It worked great.

I wouldn't mess with the liner unless the inside of the tank is rusty or there is a leaky seam.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:35 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by piasspj
Head to your local hardware store, they should have J-B Weld or another brand of epoxy that is made to patch holes in gas tanks. Several years ago I found some clear glue called something like "seals all". Wish i could remember the name of it or find it again. It worked great.

I wouldn't mess with the liner unless the inside of the tank is rusty or there is a leaky seam.
This is the best advice I have ever come with!

Old 04-21-2010, 06:51 PM
pjmoraldo
Road Master

Originally Posted by piasspj

I've been using external epoxys ie... Good old JB Weld and one other brand and they work for a little while then she starts to drip now and then n more now than then and I'm just tried of having to take the tank off n on and off n on!

Old 04-22-2010, 01:23 AM
freekdawg1200
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by pjmoraldo
I've been using external epoxys ie... Good old JB Weld and one other brand and they work for a little while then she starts to drip now and then n more now than then and I'm just tried of having to take the tank off n on and off n on!
I had the same exact problem with a leaky tank.I'll try to make this short.The bike had a stretched tank on it when I bought it.It started to leak.Radiator shop beefed up the mounting bracket.Three months later it's leaking again.Decide to buy new tank.I had it lined and then the new tank and fenders were off to the paintshop.Two years later,the tank starts seeping from the mounting bracket.

I used the seal all for awhile,but that fix only lasted a month or two.I contacted my painter and told him my problem.I didn't have the money for another tank and paintjob.I dropped the tank off at his shop to see what he could do.He used some sort of 2 part mixture to re line the inside.The new liner is smooth and hard as a rock after it cured.I'm not sure what it was called though.So far,so good no leaks.Here's his contact info.You can get in touch with him and maybe he could help more.

http://visualimpact2.com/Pictures.html

Old 04-22-2010, 05:36 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Forgot about J.B. Weld another fine product that I have used on Model A Ford engines to seal water jacket leaks....The one tank, I sealed in 1981 is still holding with Por15 but I am sure J/B will do the same job...I would inspect the inside of the tank first...Then decide.

Quick Reply: Sealing Gas Tank Leaks?