General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arizona Bike Week - Boom or Bust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:35 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Arizona Bike Week - Boom or Bust?

Was in Phoenix this past weekend for the CountryThunder music festival down in Florence. Was also Arizona Bike Week. Went to the Bike weeks events back in 2005 and it was pretty much a bust. How was it this year?

Old 04-19-2010, 01:40 PM
meepers
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same as every year, Lame. I live in Phoenix, and I cannot understand for the life of me with the number of bikes, the great weather this time of year, and all the wonderful roads, why they insist on having the main gathering at West World and charge admission. Atleast my ride is ready for Laughlin next weekend. I would have to say the most insane that I have been was Daytona FL bike week. Thats some Crazy Shiz. I have been doing the Laughlin river run since 00 and its always a great time. LA has a pretty decent gathering as well.

Wed night at the Billit bar in Scottsdale was pretty good and was worth the ride out, and I was bummed I didnt make a sunday ride since I was rebuilding my carb. And it was a bit toasty out.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:45 PM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We rode up from Tucson on Saturday. Nice day for a ride, but I didn't see much at West World that interested me. There seemed to be a lot of bikes, but really nothing to do but wander around the vendor's booths. Yup, $20 a person just to get in is a bit too high, just like previous years.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:50 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

My girlfriend who was with me kept asking me if I wanted to ride over to WestWorld on Saturday. I told her I didnt want to attend a rally that charged an ADMISSION!
Just wondered if the turnout was any better. I agree you would think Arizona with its great weather would have a great turnout for a rally but seems it just doesnt muster up. The year I went in 2005 the vendors were PISSED because of the low turnout and complaining of the high cost to them to exhibit stating they were losing money just being there. Glad I just hung out poolside until time to ride down to the concert in Florence. Didnt see many bikers at the concert but a helluva lot of cowboy hats! LOL!

Old 04-19-2010, 03:48 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Most all the rallies are going to be down because of the economy. Additionally, many bikers are staying away because of too much police presence and the desire of many communities to "line their pockets" since their revenues are down from traditional sources.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:57 PM
pjmoraldo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

didn't go myself but was workin right around the corner seen alot of nice rides and alot of demo riders especially that can-am spyder three wheel thinga majigger!

Old 04-19-2010, 04:00 PM
meepers
Tourer

Originally Posted by harleydavis
Most all the rallies are going to be down because of the economy. Additionally, many bikers are staying away because of too much police presence and the desire of many communities to "line their pockets" since their revenues are down from traditional sources.
Nah, thats not really it at all in phoenix. They setup the venders out at westworld and charge $20.00 to get in. its been that way forever. People show up, but its not like some of the other events the venders go to. The only thing I can see that was better then previous years are the MFGs having testrides. Thinking I need a Spyder!

AZ is pretty HD friendly. The cops hate sport bikes with a passion, but for the most part, unless your a total jackass, they dont mess with the cruiser crowd. It really could be way better with some forethought by the organizers here with far better venues to host at.

The only reason I went this year was to get my bike dyno tuned, and that didnt even work out. Kinda just a wast of 20 bucks.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoBoldRider
We rode up from Tucson on Saturday. Nice day for a ride, but I didn't see much at West World that interested me. There seemed to be a lot of bikes, but really nothing to do but wander around the vendor's booths. Yup, $20 a person just to get in is a bit too high, just like previous years.

AZ bike week is lame. Unlike most bike week events...Sturgis, and Daytona for example there is no Main St. to park that has within walking distance a multitude of bars, eateries, & bike related shops and stores. And yeah $20 to walk around at Westworld just to see run of the mill crap is pathetic. For a state with a serious budget problem (bankrupt) you would think they could put on an annual bike event worthy of attracting people from all over the country and the world...like Sturgis, and Daytona. With a little planning there is lots of money that could be made at these events which certainly wouldn't hurt the state or the local economy. Every first Friday of the month they close Main St. in Mesa to car traffic for bike night....this can't be done in a better, more biker oriented location or locations during bike week?? I'm not paying $20 to walk around in a field to see some tire vendor displays, bike insurance company tents, bike wax and polish products. Even bike week in York PA. has much more to offer than AZ bike week does, and that's excluding the free self guided plant tours....I'm talking about the many free vendor diplays spread out around town in parking lots all over the place with nearby bars like "The Hop" and "The Wheelie Bar". With the riding weather we have here, it could be so much better.

Tech23

Old 04-19-2010, 05:13 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer

I went Wednesday and had a good time. The beauty contest for Ms. Bike Week was great. Long live number 8! If admission was free I would have gone back on Friday or Saturday and probably bought some more stuff, but didn't feel like blowing another $20.00 just to get in the door.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:18 PM
meepers
Tourer

Originally Posted by Tech23
AZ bike week is lame. Unlike most bike week events...Sturgis, and Daytona for example there is no Main St. to park that has within walking distance a multitude of bars, eateries, & bike related shops and stores. And yeah $20 to walk around at Westworld just to see run of the mill crap is pathetic. For a state with a serious budget problem (bankrupt) you would think they could put on an annual bike event worthy of attracting people from all over the country and the world...like Sturgis, and Daytona. With a little planning there is lots of money that could be made at these events which certainly wouldn't hurt the state or the local economy. Every first Friday of the month they close Main St. in Mesa to car traffic for bike night....this can't be done in a better, more biker oriented location or locations during bike week?? I'm not paying $20 to walk around in a field to see some tire vendor displays, bike insurance company tents, bike wax and polish products. Even bike week in York PA. has much more to offer than AZ bike week does, and that's excluding the free self guided plant tours....I'm talking about the many free vendor diplays spread out around town in parking lots all over the place with nearby bars like "The Hop" and "The Wheelie Bar". With the riding weather we have here, it could be so much better.

Tech23
Exactly, I think if they did Mill ave, back like it used to be before Tempe decided they didnt want to be a party town, close down the road, lots of great food places, bars, clubs, plenty of places for vendors to setup. Instead they act like its some sort of imposition. I mean hell, even RENO is better then Phoenix. But Daytona hands down was the craziest bike week I have ever attended. WOW.

Quick Reply: Arizona Bike Week - Boom or Bust?