General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Arizona Bike Week - Boom or Bust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 05:25 PM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, we've only been to Westworld once, that was enough. It's just not worth the $20.00 to get in unless there is a band you really want to hear at night. Seems like the one making the most money on this is the guy charging $20.00. (Actually it's $18.00 but $20.00 sounds better)

Old 04-19-2010, 06:24 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

the only way AZ bike week would work IMO is if they based everything in the carefree/cave creek area. make that the central spot for the main st type atmosphere, vendors entertainment ect. there's lots of bars/entertainment and vendors space if you ban cars on cave creek rd. But it'll never happen as there's not enough hotel space in the area, and there's too many rich folk out that way that don't want all that noise and traffic.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:46 PM
hdslam
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AZ BW has always SUCKED. As stated, why pay $20 for the same ole' stuff that every other show has for free. All you have to do is wait for Laughlin, same crap. The riding is not as nice, but everything is centralized. I live in N. Scottsdale and avoid AZ BW as much as possible. Mesa has been closing the streets for a weeknight party, why not for a week. Old Town Scottsdale would also be a great, if not better place. Food, bars, parking (not so much). Main Street Mesa would be fine, better than the uptight folks in Cavecreek or Carefree. IMHO and 2 cents.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:29 PM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MetalSpike
Well, we've only been to Westworld once, that was enough. It's just not worth the $20.00 to get in unless there is a band you really want to hear at night. Seems like the one making the most money on this is the guy charging $20.00. (Actually it's $18.00 but $20.00 sounds better)
It's $18 if you order tickets, $20 at the gate, at least for Saturday.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The best bike related event I had been to at Westworld was shortly after I moved to AZ back in October 2005, not during AZ bike week. All the popular custom bike builders were there, Eddie Trotta, Matt Hotch, Chica, Arlen Ness, Russel Mitchel, Denvers Choppers, a local custom builder from Mesa, called Class Act Customs and more I can't remember. They had a great Rockabilly band there, tons of custom bikes to see, & lot's of vendors. I don't recall exactly how much admission was....I'm thinkin it was 20 bucks. To see what they had for the same 20 bucks during bike week was real disappointing.

I'm not sure there is any planning of any sort to prepare for AZ bike week. It doesn't appear like there is. When you go to most of the eateries in Daytona during bike week they all seem to have these great "cartoon like maps" of the area showing all the hots spots and attractions to see. Nothing like that here at any of the local businesses or eateries. I would have to say... other than a predetermined date for AZ bike week to occur, and what some bars and businesses have plannned during those dates....no local or state plans are made at all. I think they should have a "Daytona Style Main Street" setup in the North, South, East and West in an appropriate area for each. Maybe where the highest concentration of bike related businesses/bars are situated. That woud be a good way to ride from destination to destination and gather......AND spend money in these towns.

Tech23

Last edited by Tech23; 04-21-2010 at 08:32 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:24 PM
ftanner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pettifogger1
I went Wednesday and had a good time. The beauty contest for Ms. Bike Week was great. Long live number 8! If admission was free I would have gone back on Friday or Saturday and probably bought some more stuff, but didn't feel like blowing another $20.00 just to get in the door.

Did someone say Miss AZ Bike Week?

She just happens to be a friend of one of my buddies.

Attached Thumbnails Arizona Bike Week  -  Boom or Bust?-img_0512.jpg  
Old 04-21-2010, 10:29 PM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

We were in the area, but didn't check it out. Now this week we are seeing a flood of people here in Kingman and in Laughlin for the LRR. It's opening day and Mother Road Harley was packed to overflow. I am working so no checking it out until the weekend but maybe the LRR is getting back to being the big event I understand it used to be?

Old 04-21-2010, 11:21 PM
Moog Player
Road Captain

The first 2 Bike Weeks were in Avondale and they closed the town to cars and it was a damn good time. No fee for vendor row, etc. Then they (Owners of the name, promoters) decided they could make a ton of money off the 'custom chopper' crowd in Snottsdale and it's been Bike Weak ever since.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:22 PM
phat96
Road Warrior

Blew off Westworld myself even on a Sunday there isn't many folks, spent several days of the week going into Cave Creek and hangin at the Hideaway, great people watching and a lot of nice bikes.

They had a couple of groups of people that made food and donated whatever you gave them to the riders and there families that were hurt or killed on Carefree Hiway.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Moog Player
The first 2 Bike Weeks were in Avondale and they closed the town to cars and it was a damn good time. No fee for vendor row, etc. Then they (Owners of the name, promoters) decided they could make a ton of money off the 'custom chopper' crowd in Snottsdale and it's been Bike Weak ever since.

I did not go to Westworld this year so I don't know how many people were there. Other than the concerts I can't imagine any other reason to go. I think the only ones making money off the "Snottsdale custom chopper crowd" are the custom chopper builders, not the "promoters" of Bike Weak...LOL. Moog that was great! Craigslist is loaded with lots of low mileage "Snottsdale Biker" machines at half price. Bar hopped to the Billet Bar and back home a couple of times a year. Did anyone hear any radio commercials or see TV advertising for bike week here. Daytona puts out huge banners "WELCOME BIKERS" maybe I missed em here.

Tech23

Quick Reply: Arizona Bike Week - Boom or Bust?