Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatbob cross wind problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:14 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't notice it on my EG.The wind about knocks me over stopped but once I'm moving no issues.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:48 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tires might help if you are also getting pulled by grooves in the road. Go Metzler for that. But, the bike is nearly new? No need to ditch good tires. All bikes will do this, some more than others. Bicycle stuff not too relevant due to differences in speed and weight (20+mph vs 55+mph.) Don't know about your riding skills, but don't panic. If the conditions are windy, stick to the back roads until you are more confident. No shame in that. You will enjoy the ride better anyway if you are not getting beat up by the wind.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Slopneck
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't noticed any more effect from crosswinds on mine than on any of my previous bikes. Once in a great while there will be a really big gust that will give me a minor pucker, but for the most part it feels normal.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:20 PM
WoodsHog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't notice any more of a problem on my bike than any others I've rode with spoked wheels.Crosswinds can be a bitch,but relax.Look at a bagger.You can't see the rear wheel and the front sure can't alow much airflow through it.We have 700 pound plus bikes.I don't think wheels make any diff.If it were a safety issue,Moco wouldn't put them on the bikes.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:21 PM
crock
Advanced

Sometimes it is good to take a close look at the dynamics of riding to figure our what is happening. When you get hit by a cross wind from the left, it pushes the top of the bike over to the right and pushes the front of the wheel over to the right. Pushing the front of the wheel to the right is the same as counter steering, which leans the bike to the left into the wind. The bike becomes naturally balanced leaning into the wind. A rider who resists this process makes the bike move around more than necessary that is why relaxing is usually a good idea. Now for the bad news, when a gust of wind from the left gets strong enough the front wheel is wheel is turned to the right as usual, BUT the wind is strong enough hold the bike upright. Even though you are counter steering, the bike will not lean to the left. So what happens now? Your front wheel is pointed to the right, your bike is straight up, and you are headed off the road on the right! The more you counter steer, the faster you go to the right and the bike refuses to lean into the wind. This is how a good rider can get blown off the road. An important lesson to be learned from this is that there are times when the wind is too strong for riding. If you want my humble opinion, a 60 mph cross gust is enough to put me off the road. If I hear that winds are gusting over 45 mph, no riding for me that day.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:44 AM
fatbob123
Road Captain

thanks for all the information - experience and taking it easy will give me more confidence -

Old 07-14-2010, 08:56 PM
motocat13
4th Gear

i traded my 2007 nightster for a 2004 fatboy and it really gets pushed by wind...just a slight breeze seems to push it or even a large big rig.....I know when I had my Nightster I could ride fine in a breeze without a push...I feel like the Nightster was a lot more stable...I was going to put spoke wheels on thinking the problem was the solid wheels but reading that soild has nothing to do with it changed my mind....really can't figure this **** out...this is my 16 motorcycle......had a deuce as well in 2001 and had no wind issues.....any slight breeze seems to push the fatty away from me....gremlins maybe?

Old 07-04-2011, 08:41 AM
terry125
Stage I
Default Cross winds fat bob

I found that if I lay down on the tank passing large trucks it pretty well eleminates the buffeting. But the cross winds can move you so I just slow down. Hope this helps.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:59 AM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Fat Boy, a Wide Glide and an Ultra. They all get pushed around by the wind equally. Your comfort level will come with experience