Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatbob cross wind problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Blargh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Read up on the aero dynamics of a spoked versus solid wheel...not much difference as the spokes spinning at high speed offer almost as much wind resistance. I didn't believe it either but it is true.
for straight forward movement in still air? absolutely (reason why some pedal cyclists compete with solid rear wheels)

... but for cross winds, no - not on the front (including pedal bikes) - this is logic/science/whatever you'd like to term it. Of course each rider can justify whatever they want in order to ride their scoots , but the answer to this one is so obvious it doesn't seem there should be much of a debate.

though having said that, please point out the scientific studies of solid v. spoked wheels in crosswinds because I'd definitely like to see those (always willing to consider the chance I'm wrong since it happens quite often

Old 04-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Fuzzman
Road Captain

I think KBFXDLI said it best. Just relax and let the bike do the work. I have the same stock wheels, and do get the crap blown out of me. But after awhile you will just throttle thru and it won't phase you. Fuzz

Old 04-19-2010, 01:00 PM
rallsqh
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Even if you change to spokes, with how big the front brake discs are on the Fat Bob you wouldn't see that much difference in air flow.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:18 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Blargh
for straight forward movement in still air? absolutely (reason why some pedal cyclists compete with solid rear wheels)

though having said that, please point out the scientific studies of solid v. spoked wheels in crosswinds because I'd definitely like to see those (always willing to consider the chance I'm wrong since it happens quite often
I can't find it...but it was pretty clear about two things:

1. Once a spoked wheel is spinning over 18mph it offers about 80% of the same amount of lateral wind resistance as a solid wheel.
2. The area of a solid wheel on a motorcycle accounts for only about 2% of the overall area subjected to cross wind resistance.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:24 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by rallsqh
Even if you change to spokes, with how big the front brake discs are on the Fat Bob you wouldn't see that much difference in air flow.
+1 Exactly...If you look at the pic of my bike...you cannot see througfh the rear wheel and the amount of open space on the front wheel outside the rotor & caliper calculated against the the entire silouette of my bike & rider is so small it has to be negligible

Old 04-19-2010, 01:29 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by grimm
before my accident, i had a ............
The OP is coming here for some advice on how to not **** his drawers in high winds......ROFLMAO....

Old 04-19-2010, 01:40 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sunny Sunday Rider only rides in the fair weather ride and not stormy or windy weather. It's hard for some to see how world works.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:44 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If solid disc wheels affected the stability of a motorcycle in crosswinds, then no semi with a 53ft long trailer would ever be able to stay on the road in a crosswind. Fans wouldn't work, because the air they try to push would just slip through the fan blades.
When you're in a crosswind on a motorcycle, you have to accept the fact that you'll have to lean into the wind.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:44 PM
bigc00p
Advanced

I know what your talking about man, those cross winds can be a bitch but just plow on through them and counter steer to compensate you will be fine...

Old 04-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Kumite
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thing that disturbed me most about the OP' post was his comment that it was " a slight gust" that moved him into the adjoining lane. To me this is not a bike problem but an inability to countersteer properly. I have been in 55 MPH 90 degree cross wind and it did move you all over the road even with heavy countersteering and at 60 mph..... but a slight gust...no way.

The "sail effect" is magnified by all the surface area above the center of gravity. Wheels and such below the centerline have negligable impact. So a high windscreen, tall luggage, tall operator and or passanger etc will dispraprapotionalty impact the line of the motorcycle.

As many have said
- Work on countersteering
- keep power to the rear wheel
- relax and allow for the bike to move somewhat.
- but use your judgment.... if it is too much for you ore you do not feel in adequate control.... then take a break and attach it again another day.

But to each his own.

R. Todd

Quick Reply: Fatbob cross wind problems