Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just purchased a used Dyna, now leaking oil, found it to be overfilled , Best Fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:20 PM
dman5000
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased a used Dyna, now leaking oil, found it to be overfilled , Best Fix?

I just purchased an '06 Super Glide a couple weeks ago. Noticed today it was leaking oil around the bottom bolts of the primary. I immediatly got concerned, and downloaded a copy of the Dyna Service Manual to help in my investigation. First thing I did was check the oil level, and with the engine cold the oil is about 1/2 inch above the full line. I tested several times, to make sure, even had a buddy check it was so far over the line. According to the manual it shouldn't even be half way up the stick cold. Does this mean the darn thing is totally overfilled with oil, and the pressure has now caused the leaking?

Can I just suck this oil out with a turkey baster or something ?

Thanks...

Last edited by dman5000; 04-18-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:23 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Aren't you supposed to measure it hot?
If you're not sure about the oil level, just change it, and the filter. Then you know it's right.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:29 PM
dman5000
Advanced

Originally Posted by mp
Aren't you supposed to measure it hot?
If you're not sure about the oil level, just change it, and the filter. Then you know it's right.

Yes, best reading is HOT, but according to the manual the level will actually be lower when cold, if this is the case, it has to be completly overfilled. Maybe your right though, maybe the oil isnt all were its supposed to be, I will get her warm tomorrow and see.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:35 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

If it is leaking from the primary what does the engine oil level have to do with that? Is it leaking from the derby cover or under the primary? Plus to get a correct reading on the engine oil level you need to ride the bike about 30 minutes then shut it down and allow 4-5 minutes to allow the oil to return to the tank and check hot with bike on the jiffy stand.

Last edited by KBFXDLI; 04-18-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:35 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you ask for help and was given the best reply you coud get......if it is so overfilled (you checked multiple times) drain it and start over. The minimal cost should not be even a concern, if you want piece of mind

Old 04-18-2010, 09:37 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Check the service manual, my fxr says check cold on the jiffy stand, all others check upright Either way,I don't really think a pint one way or the other will make much difference.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:39 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 1skrewsloose
Check the service manual, my fxr says check cold on the jiffy stand, all others check upright Either way,I don't really think a pint one way or the other will make much difference.
06 dyna manual says check hot on jiffy 4 minutes after shut down.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:47 PM
dman5000
Advanced

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
If it is leaking from the primary what does the engine oil level have to do with that? Is it leaking from the derby cover or under the primary? Plus to get a correct reading on the engine oil level you need to ride the bike about 30 minutes then shut it down and allow 4-5 minutes to allow the oil to return to the tank and check hot with bike on the jiffy stand.
My apologies with any confusion, I'm very inexperienced. Looked again, and I cant determine where exactly oil is coming from, but there are drips on the bottom of the primary as well as some other locations towards the center of the bike, definitly not from the derby cover. I agree it needs tested hot, and or simply just have the oil changed all together. Thanks again.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:58 PM
hpfatboy
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

+ 1 on the turkey baster, they sure come in handy!!!

Old 04-18-2010, 10:02 PM
fastjoe
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

dman5000, if you can't determine for sure where the oil is comming from, my advice would be to find a dependable bike shop in your area and have them look at it.

Quick Reply: Just purchased a used Dyna, now leaking oil, found it to be overfilled , Best Fix?