General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

others input on jackets

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 07:53 AM
purestockracer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default others input on jackets

just wondering about other riders opinions on textile jackets, NOT WORRIED ABOUT PRICE ISSUES, OR WHERE TO BUY !! I've narrowed it down to FIRSTGEAR (RAINIER) & TOURMASTER ( TRANSITION 2), would like to hear your pros & cons about these or other brands. what is good & what is junk. I'll always prefer leather (already got a good jacket ), but i'm looking to try something different . thanks

Old 04-18-2010, 08:01 AM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain

I just got my Kid a Shift Textile and am very pleased with the Make and Fit of it on Her for when she rides with me. I also need something for the Summer as my FXRG leather will be a bit much. Riding to and from the Beach and POP up thunderstorms when I'm on Time restraints is my biggest concern. So I would like something that converts to mesh but has full panels as well with armor .

I have to get to BOBs BMW as they normally carry great touring stuff. Of those 2 I like the Tourmasters looks better then the FS . those big Pockeys just don't do it for me

Last edited by ImNoPrince; 04-18-2010 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:23 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

I have a Spidi and Fox Creek leather, they are both nice, look good and work fine but are real heavy, and restrict movement. So.... today I ordered a First Gear Kenya jacket in black and a pair of their HT Overpants. My thinking is the newer designs of these textile jackets can protect, be light, and look good.

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb3....A?opendocument

Mike

Last edited by OldMike; 04-18-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: added link
Old 04-18-2010, 09:32 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I take a textile when I go long just because it's light and folds up smaller than leather.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:50 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,926 Likes on 1,259 Posts

Originally Posted by DPete
I take a textile when I go long just because it's light and folds up smaller than leather.
That's what I want it for and they are waterproof so no need to carry a rain suit.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:52 AM
macride
Cruiser

I've got an fxrg and a first gear tex, both are excellent jackets

Old 04-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Spaceteach
Intermediate

I tried on a Transition and really liked it. Right now I'm using a Joe Rocket 3/4 length that is really comfortable and dry in the rain. You may want to take a look at the comments and reviews on the different jackets on newenough.com.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:37 PM
piperbob
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket, works for me.

Bob
97 Heritage

Old 04-18-2010, 03:51 PM
SVTNate
Cruiser

I currently have a Tour Master Air Intake 2 and a Cortech/Tour Master FSX Series 2. I've owned other Tour Master/Cortech jackets, and I own 3 different pair of their gloves as well. I think it's obvious that I have a favorable opinion of their products. I have no experience with First Gear, but Tour Master makes quality products.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Blargh
Road Captain

HD throttle 3in1 - i prefer textile to leather for weight reduction, and this one still has the benefit of armor + waterproof (haven't ridden in rain though so cant attest to how dry it'll be)

I'm thinking about having a carhartt hood attached to it instead of the button down collar but the hood hasn't arrived yet (mail order) so not sure if that will work or not.

Quick Reply: others input on jackets