Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 FXDB Flat Tire after 513 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 02:42 AM
chi45cken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation 2010 FXDB Flat Tire after 513 miles

OMG! what do I do now? I rode yesterday finally breaking my bike in (crossed 500mile mark) and parked the bike in my carport... few hours later I went to cover it and it looked fine. This afternoon I had to run an errand and jumped on my Bob. I started pulling out of my space (mind you I was in a hurry so didn't pay attention to anything) and I couldn't move the bike.. I was like- do I have a brake on- oh wait its a MOTORCYCLE!!! I looked over and my rear tire was flat! I have been riding very carefully these past couple of weeks... I avoided pot holes, never hit anything, never done anything crazy/weird, never rode hard- went over 70mph once- yesterday when I passed 500miles.

All of a sudden today the tire is flat and I don't know what to do. I'm a gal and I don't have access to a lift or anything... This is a brand new bike and the damn Michelin Scorcher tires are SO expensive. What to do?!? I looked at the rear tire and didn't see any holes, screws or anything. Any ideas?

Thanks for any feedback!

Old 04-18-2010, 03:37 AM
wiredwilly
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Air it up and spray the tire and stem with some soapy water, you should see it bubble.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:30 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

You need to find a friend with a pickup and/or a tow behind trailer, if you can't afford one yourself. BUT----- #1 Get an air bubble or portable air tank and blow it(the tire) back up and see what happens. Start with the most obvious and least expensive solution. Tires need air. Check the valve stems and rims with soapy water. Don't have a Cow. If it stays up, ride it down to a repair shop and have them check it out and repair it if needed. It doesn't have to be a H-D dealer. #2 if it "somewhat" immediately goes flat , well put her on a trailer and take her to the shop. You can repair a tire yourself if you have the inclination along with the proper manuals and tools and mechanical abilities.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:39 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by wiredwilly
Air it up and spray the tire and stem with some soapy water, you should see it bubble.
what he said.Don't have a cow, it's just flat. Figure out why.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Blargh
Road Captain

you can ride as careful as possible and still pick up a nail, staple, screw... you wouldn't see it. Definitely take at least a quick look over the bike before going for a ride - could've been nearly flat and then you'd end up disabled on the side of the road instead of at home.

anyone use the "slime" emgcy repair kit? I wouldn't suggest it for a long distance but may work to get it sealed, aired, and in to a shop
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...c=45&zmap=4555

or plug/ CO2 cannister kit?
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/es...kit/index.html

i like being self sufficient, probably will get something like these for road trips out of the area (back of my jeep is full of extra parts and tools, probably costs me 2mpg with all that junk inside my trunk )

Last edited by Blargh; 04-18-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:46 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 337 Likes on 193 Posts

As stated earlier, air it up and use soapy water to find the leak. If it's the valve stem or bead (where the tire contacts the rim). Standard Warranty should cover it.
If you have the extra tire/wheel coverage (which IMO is not worth the money) that should cover anything.

If it's a small hole in the tire get a package of plugs at an auto parts store, they will probably have some that include the tools. It isn't hard to do. Check it again after you repair.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

You have gotten great advice so far!!!

In a matter of a couple of hours though you will get a chorus of worriers who have never been stuck on a long trip in the middle of nowhere with a flat tire. What they are going to tell you is:

Relace the tire or you will die.
Don't patch it or you will die.
Don't plug it or you will die.

Ignore them. Follow the advice you have received above it is sound.
If you decide to replace the tire, I have dibs on it!!! Send me a note. I will pay all shipping and even your gas to get it to ups. (I'm serious) Rarely will you damage a tire so badly is has to be replaced. Especially a new one.

Good Luck. I'm sure it just needs to be patched or plugged. My last tire I road 7000 miles with a plug in it.

Last edited by Jonesee; 04-18-2010 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:29 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Buy a lift, pull the wheel and take it to an INDY for a new one.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:45 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All great advice if you have a lift, full set of tools, a compressor, and the skills to use them all. Since your original post states that you don't, start with the dealer. They should provide free pick-up. Your new bike also came with a one year HOG membership, which also has some roadside assistance coverage. For future referance, a AAA plus membership for about $75 a year covers your car and motorcycle for 100 miles of towing to a repair facility of your choice. Unfortunately this affair will take some time to resolve. If there is actually a problem with the tire from a defect, your warranty should apply. Does the bike have a tube? Regardless, a puncture likely caused a slow leak, which can be repaired. If you know someone with a small portable compressor (the type that plugs into a cigarette lighter) you may be able to get it filled long enough to ride to the dealer. I wouldn't use a can of the quick fill repair junk. They aren't reliable and will end up filling your tire with goo that a tech is going to have to remove. You may also want to consider your local HOG chapter for future issues. They can be a good source of info and support for these types of problems.

Last edited by k&j eglide; 04-18-2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: sp chk
Old 04-18-2010, 08:46 AM
first dyna 07
Road Master

Hey Man

Mybe you should check if it is a tubeless rim the new rims are sparyed with this rubber like stuff to prevent air leaks .

Quick Reply: 2010 FXDB Flat Tire after 513 miles