Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 FXDB Flat Tire after 513 miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 08:54 AM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If that's your bike in your sig pic I see it has laced wheels, which runs with a tube inside. If it's a nail that made it go flat, replace the tube and patch the tire. You'll probably have to trailer it to a bike shop for the repair because it has a tube inside.

Whether it's a bike or a car, most flats occur on a rear wheel. Why? The front tire hits the nail, screw, etc., turning it UP where the rear tire runs over it and gets punctured.

Because your wheels are laced you can't run a tubeless tire. If you had a wheel that can run tubeless it would be easy to repair. Pull the nail/screw and use one of these kits to repair it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-St...i_sku=10928534

When I had my '93 Sportster, I ran a FatBoy wheel on the back for this reason. I never had a flat, but if I did I could just repair it and go. I plan on getting one for my Heritage when I have to get tires.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:02 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Unless Harley has come out with tubeless, spoked laced rims, like Moto Guzzi uses, you have an inner tube in that tire, and you're are not going to get it fixed without removing the tire and inspecting the tube, and a tire plug isn't going to help you fix a leak in an inner tube.

But first: it could be as simple as a loose valve core in the valve stem. Check that first.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 04-18-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:07 PM
chi45cken
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default UPDATE on the tire!

Guys, thanks so much for all the great advise. Here's the status of the tire... Well- it's still flat lol.. However, I went and got the air compressor and blew it up. As a result i learned that a whole bunch (if not all) of air is coming out from the valve area. Not from the top of it where you install the air pump and such, but from the area where the valve stem meets the rim (all around the valve). Forgive me the lack of 'proper' language here, but I'm just starting to learn about these things and I'm far from being a mechanic.

So yeah... now I guess I have to take it to the dealer and get screwed out of hundreds of dollars to get that fixed :-(

Old 04-18-2010, 01:21 PM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

It should not be hundreds of dollars...an hour of labor and a new tube.

Paul in Colorado

Old 04-18-2010, 01:25 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Is the tire stem straight up and down in the rim? Sometimes, a tube can slip inside the tire, and get sliced at its base. More than likely, however, the tube has been punctured someplace and the air is escaping from inside the tire, through the hole in the rim that the stem goes through.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:33 PM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

I have an '09 SB. I picked up a screw yesterday while riding. The spoke rims use tubes and without a lift and tools you are dead in the water. Hog Roadside assistance picked me up and took me home. I already had a new tire and tube and tire changeing tools at home. I bought a set of mags from a forum member that I need to build up and put on the bike. I can plug a tire on the side of the road and be on my way in 15 minutes.

Now, a word of caution. Do not ride the bike with a punctured tube. Tubes tend to split when punctured (Sounds like yours did). I slowly rode mine to a gas station parking lot within sight after filling it with fix a flat to get to a safe place. I rode very slowly because I knew what to expect. The tube split completely in two pieces around the diameter and when the bead poped off the rim I walked it the rest of the way. If the tube blows at speed and the bead comes off the rim you will crash or come close to it. The fix a flat just wipes off the rim so don't worry about using it in an emergency, you will not ruin anything.

I usually get about four puntures a year, averaging 20,000 miles a year.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:17 PM
chi45cken
Road Master

Originally Posted by wb0zrd
It should not be hundreds of dollars...an hour of labor and a new tube.

Paul in Colorado
Oh! That's great news- I wasn't sure how much they would charge me.. Here an hour of labor is $120 or so ahhh

Old 04-18-2010, 11:23 PM
chi45cken
Road Master

Originally Posted by gus4440
I have an '09 SB. I picked up a screw yesterday while riding. The spoke rims use tubes and without a lift and tools you are dead in the water. Hog Roadside assistance picked me up and took me home. I already had a new tire and tube and tire changeing tools at home. I bought a set of mags from a forum member that I need to build up and put on the bike. I can plug a tire on the side of the road and be on my way in 15 minutes.

Now, a word of caution. Do not ride the bike with a punctured tube. Tubes tend to split when punctured (Sounds like yours did). I slowly rode mine to a gas station parking lot within sight after filling it with fix a flat to get to a safe place. I rode very slowly because I knew what to expect. The tube split completely in two pieces around the diameter and when the bead poped off the rim I walked it the rest of the way. If the tube blows at speed and the bead comes off the rim you will crash or come close to it. The fix a flat just wipes off the rim so don't worry about using it in an emergency, you will not ruin anything.

I usually get about four puntures a year, averaging 20,000 miles a year.
Gus darn!!!! I won't ride it for sure... I'm gonna have my dealer come and pick it up- I certainly don't want to risk a crash or messing the wheel of the bike in any way.. It's just too bad I have to wait and can't do it myself ya know...

I saw a local HOG Chapter group this AM ... 30 people getting ready for a ride- jealous!

Old 04-18-2010, 11:23 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Borrow a motorcycle jack from a friend, remove the tire, and take it to an indy to have a new tube put in.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:03 AM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 100 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by chi45cken
OMG! what do I do now? I rode yesterday finally breaking my bike in (crossed 500mile mark) and parked the bike in my carport... few hours later I went to cover it and it looked fine. This afternoon I had to run an errand and jumped on my Bob. I started pulling out of my space (mind you I was in a hurry so didn't pay attention to anything) and I couldn't move the bike.. I was like- do I have a brake on- oh wait its a MOTORCYCLE!!! I looked over and my rear tire was flat! I have been riding very carefully these past couple of weeks... I avoided pot holes, never hit anything, never done anything crazy/weird, never rode hard- went over 70mph once- yesterday when I passed 500miles.

All of a sudden today the tire is flat and I don't know what to do. I'm a gal and I don't have access to a lift or anything... This is a brand new bike and the damn Michelin Scorcher tires are SO expensive. What to do?!? I looked at the rear tire and didn't see any holes, screws or anything. Any ideas?

Thanks for any feedback!

Call the dealer you bought it from and tell them the air is coming out around the valve stem.

New bike they should come get it and fix it under warranty as long as there is not a nail in it.

Quick Reply: 2010 FXDB Flat Tire after 513 miles