General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locked 'em up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Locked 'em up.

Just wondering how many times you've had to lock the brakes because a cage pulled out, swerved or made a u-turn in front of you. I had to a couple days ago right as I was turning into my own drive. As I was getting into the left turn lane watching oncoming traffic an older lady came flying out of a parking lot right in front of me.

Made me think about how many times stuff like that has happened without hitting anything. Thinking back over about 40 years of street riding that was maybe the fifth time it's happened. That one was the closest I've come to hitting a car though. Had to stay away from the house for a bit to let the adrenaline rush get out of my system so my wife wouldn't see me shaking.

How about it? How many times that you can remember?

Old 04-17-2010, 10:26 PM
chopped7
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i almost had to lock up a couple weeks ago. a light turned yellow at the worst time and the old guy in front of me stopped for it. he should have went through because he probably would have locked 'em up to stop if he didn't have anti lock brakes. as soon as i saw his brake lights i checked my mirror and changed lanes and stopped along side of him. he apologized kind of. he said "i'm sorry but the light turned yellow". i just nodded and said "i know".

Old 04-17-2010, 10:29 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,694 Likes on 2,121 Posts

Last week a woman turned left in front of me. I found out baggers can do stoppies. It was not a good discovery.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:29 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

More times than I care to remember!

Old 04-17-2010, 10:31 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,542 Likes on 5,081 Posts

do you have a need to know? I'm sure everyone at one time or another has had to lock em up

Old 04-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Romark
Road Master

I hope I never do. It's a sure fire way to lose control. A skidding tire doesn't stop quicker.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:47 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have yet to need to lock them up, and the few times i have hit them hard i get a little chirp at best, mind you i have drum brakes front and rear so stoping in a hurry isnt thier speciality

Old 04-17-2010, 10:48 PM
WVRoughrider
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A dog shot right in front of me the other day,locked em up then had to out manurver the dog.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:02 PM
fatmanny
Cruiser

About once a week.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:01 AM
RyKR
Cruiser

I thought that I was in the best place to ride the other day, cop cars front and back. I was right between two cop cars and some idiot still cut me off!! I locked up the rear brake, luckily I didn't lock the front. He saw me/heard me sliding at him, then he panicked and slammed on the brakes. Instead of getting the hell out of the way he sat across the damn road. I had to go up on the side walk to miss him. The cop behind me asked if I was ok and then left. The bastard got no ticket for failure to yield or anything.

Quick Reply: Locked 'em up.